Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:45 PM

Default A chat with Bernard Lee.

Finished 13th in the 2005 WSOP ME. Had a blog on Stars.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9800

Hurry and get it while it's still free. Nothing phenomenal, but still interesting.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: A chat with Bernard Lee.

[ QUOTE ]
Finished 13th in the 2005 WSOP ME. Had a blog on Stars.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9800

Hurry and get it while it's still free. Nothing phenomenal, but still interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I found interesting was that he's going to have a column twice a week in the Boston Herald.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 AM

What I really found interesting is the fact that nobody ever takes the "good family man" to task for being absurd.

Yes, it's nice that you love your kids.

However, it is also creepy and weird that you slobber all over a picture of them all the time, particularly when you seem to be hoping for luck.

"God, please watch me put my saliva on this picture of my children while I am on television, so that you might see the depths of my love for my children and grant me a good flop, turn, and river..."

Blecch.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I really found interesting is the fact that nobody ever takes the "good family man" to task for being absurd.

However, it is also creepy and weird that you slobber all over a picture of them all the time, particularly when you seem to be hoping for luck.

"God, please watch me put my saliva on this picture of my children while I am on television, so that you might see the depths of my love for my children and grant me a good flop, turn, and river..."

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot [censored] on.

It would've been funny if they integrated him crying about his wife into a Milwaukee's Light commercial.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blecch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to bet that if you qualify on line for pennies (compared to 10K) and get the point where you're guaranteed 400K, you'll do some stuff that we find silly also.
You do realize, that an amateur making it that far, is a lot like hitting the lottery, don't you?
Now, the Swede, who screamed at the top of his lungs, now, that was ridiculous, however, he was a lottery winner.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to bet that if you qualify on line for pennies (compared to 10K) and get the point where you're guaranteed 400K, you'll do some stuff that we find silly also.
You do realize, that an amateur making it that far, is a lot like hitting the lottery, don't you?
Now, the Swede, who screamed at the top of his lungs, now, that was ridiculous, however, he was a lottery winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

This point is valid, except for the fact that he had obviously been doing it the whole time (not just after guaranteeing a big score).

I'll tell you, I really can't stand all of the mutual fellatio that goes on when someone busts out, either. Shake hands, well played, ok.

But there's no need for a Happy Ending. It's a poker tournament, not a massage parlor. Bernard looked like he was gonna start French kissing each departing contestant.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This point is valid, except for the fact that he had obviously been doing it the whole time (not just after guaranteeing a big score).

I'll tell you, I really can't stand all of the mutual fellatio that goes on when someone busts out, either. Shake hands, well played, ok.

But there's no need for a Happy Ending. It's a poker tournament, not a massage parlor. Bernard looked like he was gonna start French kissing each departing contestant.

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically you'd prefer everyone -- amateurs and professionals alike -- played poker stone-faced at all times like Ivey and Greenstein ... is that about right?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 PM

I really liked this part of the chat:

[ QUOTE ]

Ben B(Belmont, MA): First off, Congrats on a very impressive showing at the WSOP. What was your most memorable hand? And who was the "best" player that you won a hand against?

SportsNation Bernard Lee: (5:57 PM ET ) I think without question the most memorable hand that I played was the AA vs. QQ vs. Shawn. The most memorable hand I didn't play was when I laid down KK pre-flop on day 3. Based on his actions, I just felt like he had aces and I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so basically you'd prefer everyone -- amateurs and professionals alike -- played poker stone-faced at all times like Ivey and Greenstein ... is that about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word.... yes
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you say that someone like Greg Raymer conducts himself in an acceptable manner? I mean, I haven't seen him fall on the table when he wins or run around screaming 'THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!!" or berate any other player or cry when he loses with the second nut flush or start doing pushups in the middle of a hand or walk around "working the room" when he's out of the tournament, starved for face time on the television machine.

What I see is a man who knows how to carry himself in the world, who seems to have some regard for his personal dignity.

Ok, I got a little carried away, fair enough. But when I watch Harrington, Raymer, Lederer, Ivey, Greenstein, Brunson, or Seidel, I see men who know how to conduct themselves.

Much of the other stuff I see is simply embarassing, quite frankly.