Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Common HU flop situation

Here's a common situation that my friends and I disagree on.

Party 3/6, 6max

Folded to you in CO and you raise Ac Qh. Only BB, a typical 45/10 muppet calls. Flop is Js 9c 6s. He checks, you bet, he raises.

Who folds?
Who calls?
Who reraises the muppet show?

If we play on, what is the plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Common HU flop situation

Do you have his agression level? I probably peel one given that this flop is decently coordinated, so he could be check raising a lot of straight or flush draws. I don't think folding is awful, but I peel. I fold the turn UI.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:34 PM

drawy flop, you have big cards and bd potential, I'm seeing the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

so it's 7.5:1

i peel, but i think it's very close and in isolation perhaps a -EV call. however, i do not want to be folding too often to a measly flop c/r.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Sorry, I don't have his aggression level, since my friend was telling me this one from memory as a situation that gave him trouble. I take it that you would fold to a passive player and call an aggressive one?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I don't have his aggression level, since my friend was telling me this one from memory as a situation that gave him trouble. I take it that you would fold to a passive player and call an aggressive one?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is really agressive, I raise. If he is really passive, fold. If he is inbetween, I either call or fold.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM

If you fold every hand that misses this flop (no pair or primary draw) it becomes too profitable to run the bluff checkraise. AQ is one of the very best missed hands so it is near the top of my lifeboat list of hands I want to keep in this situation. I'll save my fold quota for the many weaker hands I might have.

So I call the flop checkraise with AQ. I don't exactly have the odds to chase a made hand here but at 7-1 with overs and a good backdoor the potential EV loss is minimal.

On the turn he must either give up his bluff or double his investment by betting out-of-position. There are four cases:

1. I missed. Now I fold secure in the knowledge that I may have been bluffed but in the long run what he is doing isn't very profitable because it costs too much.

2. I picked up a draw. Now I call and quite likely call the river unimproved. This cheaply fulfills my game theory need to sometimes look him up with unimproved overcards.

3. I hit. Now I punish him.

4. I had AJ instead of AQ. I usually call hands like this instead of 3-betting. Now the semibluffer gets punished with a raise.

Overall what I hope to achieve is a consistent strategy that makes money off my good hands while discouraging (punishing) excessive bluffing in the cheapest possible ways.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:24 PM

This is usually a flush draw but also a 2-pair and sometimes any pair. Without reads I guess the standard is to peel and fold turn UI.
I would also 3-bet some percentage of times and take a free turn card but this is a more read dependent play.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Im calling turn, Folding UI, remember, this guy is the fish, and you can wait til u have better bait to fight em...
cdl
Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also 3-bet some percentage of times and take a free turn card but this is a more read dependent play.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can be OK if you have exceptional control over your opponent so that you always know exactly what his reactions mean.

Back in the online free-for-all where most of us live what usually happens is we have only a general impression of Villain's style. Much too often this translates into:

1. When he's drawing he backs down and we give him a free card.

2. When he has something he comes back with another raise or the stop-n-go and we wind up paying extra.

Thus does the free card play so often create the worst of all possible worlds.