Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of IB guys worth a few million by 35 that keep working till they are 60. They can have 100 million dollars and they still want more. How many porches can one guy own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what this has to do with you. Just because they keep working doesn't mean you have to. Maybe they like work, a lot of people in industries like IB and accounting and whatnot actually like busting their humps 70 hours a week. However, if you don't there is nothing stopping you from working until you are 35, getting those few million, then leaving. Just because they stay doesn't mean it is your destiny too.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:10 AM

I say go with the flow. Do what makes you happy as much as you can in your own power. However, don't rush it. Specially at your age. You have reduce things down to their elemental form about what will make you happy, not always an easy task.

Leave yourself room for movement, what makes you happy or you think does can change. A lot of things are new with your new job...not just the job. How people relate to you, your family, living situation, friendships, responsibility level way different than college.

Whatever you do, my advice is general. don't jump it right away. Don't start doom and glooming about this cant' be your life. It's not. it's your job. Tell yourself I will give it 6 months and re-evaluate. Use that time for deeper research into the change you are thinking about. And then, if that's what you wanna do, you prepared and believe it will make you happy, go for it.

I have been a risk taker all my life, i'm old and kinda scarred up here and there, but never complained about one scar. When you leap or don't just be sure to go in with a manup attitude, you are the only one that can make your decisions and be prepared to fully accept situations that places you in.,,,,,AND, good luck to you. I've had more than my share.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:18 AM

gamble, gamble, gamble. then buy a strip club... few investments will ever get you a higher return per month. the 9-5 sucks and it always will, but when youre working for yourself and even more hours its not nearly as bad.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:36 AM

I'm a 29 year old blue collar slob and would give my right nut to have the opportunity that you've got now.
I'm not calling you a crybaby or anyhting like that, but just remember that your grass is greener than a lot of other people's.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 AM

I was in a similar situation about a year ago... I was in the restaurant business making decent money, but I absolutely hated what i was doing. I decided that poker was one of the few things i truely enjoyed and spent most of my free time playing. I ended up getting out of management and went to poker dealers school. I have been dealing for a little over a year now, i make decent money, but I get to be involved in the game i love every day. And on my days off, my friends (mostly poker dealers or players) get together and play. I make a good amount of my disposeable income playing cards, and i know that if I have a bad run on the tables, i can always pick up a few extra shifts. Not to mention, i get to see thousands of hands a week while making money without having to risk any money. I wanted to be involved in poker professionally without having to risk playing for a living. I think dealing is the next best thing.

Just my $0.02

-Chef
Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Interesting post. I'm also 22 and you seem to be of similar character and in a similar position to me.

I'm up around £2000 (UK) playing poker since september and am currently working on my Masters in Chemistry in my final year at Manchester University.

I hate it! My collegues are morons and I dont want to be a research chemist, but I could very easily get a job with some of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in england.

Playing poker professionally I believe to be too much of a risk, but like you i've thought about going into something I would much prefer and know a lot about: online gaming.

I believe with many jobs "you get what you pay for" in the sense that a tougher / more stressful job pays better. Perhaps, going into a job that is less well-payed but easier and more fun is the secret? You'll be able to make up the money playing poker in your spare time and maybe even the time to win qualifications into bigger tournaments.

However, with no artistic talents and no programming knowledge... theres little chance of me being useful or constructive in the computer gaming industry.

So what do i do after this year? Well, i'm supposed to be applying for jobs now. *shrug*
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM

I work at an investment bank on wall street. I'm not a banker but I work very closely with them. You are not the only one who hates this job. THEY ALL HATE IT! They just do it for the $$$ and 85% leave after 2 years. $65,000/year for 2 years isn't that great considering the hours - if you're planning on sticking it out for 5-6 years, it might be worth it, but you can make the same $$ playing cards, then play cards and be happy.

These places will drain you and you'll end up one giant hemmerroid.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:51 PM

keep your job and play poker. make a lot of money. invest it with your mad investment banker skillzzz. then do whatever. simple.