Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Didi play this hand wrong? QQ UTG +1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t30666)
UTG (t5135)
LASTSAMURAI (t12445)
MP1 (t2180)
MP2 (t20676)
MP3 (t12092)
CO (t3690)
Button (t1059)
SB (t3245)

Preflop: LASTSAMURAI is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, [color=#CC3333]LASTSAMURAI raises to t1000</font>, [color=#666666]6 folds</font>, BB calls t800.

Flop: (t2000) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets t800</font>, [color=#CC3333]LASTSAMURAI raises to t11420</font>, BB calls t10620.

Turn: (t24840) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>

River: (t24840) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t24840
Old 09-06-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: God dammit did i play this hand wrong? QQ UTG +1

Well, given the title, I assume you lost to JJ, 88, 22 or J8? I don't think you played it wrong. You raised preflop and BB called. You could've not pushed though, I don't know, seems like an overplay. BB could have AJ here or KJ often too, so you can just raise and try to get some action. If you push, most of the time you'll only get called by a better hand.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 AM

no...he called with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 05:33 AM

a simple raise to 4k is fine, but then again you got him to call the all in with bad odds. he got lucky.

dont worry. i was on the unlucky end of the flush draw all in scenario many many many times today. it evens out.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no...he called with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be happy with everything except the outcome. You got your money in as a 2-1 favorite and lost.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:37 AM

I know ... just venting out right now... he's from suckoutville, usa......just hate playing against morons
Old 09-06-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know ... just venting out right now... he's from suckoutville, usa......just hate playing against morons

[/ QUOTE ]

Why pose it as a real question and waste all of our time then? Next time, please don't post your bad beats here.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Didi play this hand wrong? QQ UTG +1

Well I would never simply raise allin on the flop because you are giving him not enough chance to call or make a move with a weak hand. Raise some amount like 3000-4000 instead.

Also the amount of money in the pot isnt large enough for you to be so desperate to win the pot immediately. The chances of your opponent having a flush draw are very slim, as it's heads up against one caller in the blind. And by making a standard raise they aren't really getting the right odds to call you anyway.

Also I don't like raising so much preflop, but ok thats more a matter of style.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Didi play this hand wrong? QQ UTG +1

Alright, so you're heads-up against a player who has about 3x your chip stack, and is one of the only players at the table who can bust you.

Your 5x the BB raise was a little high for my liking, I'd usually want some sort of action against my Queens and would likely to raise between 600-800 instead of 1K in that spot.

The flop looks favorable for you with the overpair. There are certainly draws. Let's look at the betting:

Pre-flop you raise to 1,000
BB calls 800
Pot is now 2,100

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Donk bets 800, pot now 2,900.

You push for 11,420. Your push was terrible, since you're likely only going to get called by hands that beat you. Plus, normally you wouldn't want to push out a weaker holding, you want to cause your opponent to make a mistake (such as drawing while not getting the appropriate odds)

While this is actually what happened, normally you'd want to re-raise to around the size of the pot or perhaps a little more. This defines your hand and lets the BB know you aren't messing around. If he pushes after your re-raise, then you have a decision to make.

With blinds at 100/200 and you starting with 12K in chips, you are well ahead of what an average stack is at this point, and you can wait for better spots to get all of your money in, especially against someone who can bust you with little risk.

While it's disgusting to see, many times donks like this acquire humungous chip leads early on because they suck out and get lucky. They usually have difficulty holding onto those chips as the mid-game winds down and the end-game hits. Tough beat, better variance next time.