Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Moving up in limits

Just a question that's probably been asked a hundred times and will be asked many more after this...

I've been playing a lot of 3/6 on poker room lately, and seeing great profit come from it. Granted it has only been a week, and I have only played 2000 hands, but I am seeing consistent winning sessions, with an average win rate at just over 8 BB/100 hands. I plan on playing at least another 8000 hands and see where I'm at from there, but I can't help but feel that while I'm currently dominating these 3/6 games, there can be much more on the horizon moving up to 5/10. Anyone with past experience or just suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

AP
Old 08-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Moving up in limits

Play more hands of 3/6. Your dominating week of $1000 profits can be dropped in 3/6 and very easily in 5/10. At least get another grand or so under your belt so the iminent cold streak doesnt drive you insane.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Sample space is everything in determining a win rate. I'd wait 50000 hands, find your leaks , and do your best to repair them. You can crush limits for short periods of time, but in the long term you need to find out if your a winning player or not. Leaks will be evident at 3/6, but will bleed you dry at higher limits.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:06 PM

It sounds like you already know this, but 2k hands is nothing. Your current winrate isn't entirely meaningless, but it doesn't mean much.

My winrate was something ridiculous like 12bb/100 after about 4k hands. It's settled down now to about 4bb/100, which I think is still a bit higher than it really should be.

And FWIW, I'm currently a loser at Party 5/10. I think my play is good enough to be a small winner there, but I'm not sure, and it's been hitting my roll a bit more than I'd like.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:24 PM

you must wait for at least 50k hands to see if you are a winner at any limit and you need $4k to play 5/10
please trust me on this, ive been through it all
Old 08-28-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been through it

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, as in my case, that's what it takes to learn this lesson.