Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Why is Hellmuth checking in the dark?

I have noticed a lot on the 2005 WSOP coverage that he is dark checking a lot on the flop. Not just in the main event, either.

This seems to be a dumb play. Yes you can get lucky with the flop and not give out any info until after your opponent acts. However, most new players are not up on reading people and Phil should be able to hide his emotions when checking.

What happens when he has 10 10 and dark checks, then the flop comes 4-5-6 with 2 to a flush? That could be dangerous for his hand.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I have done it in some NL cash games and small tournaments, but only in very special circumstances.

P.S.--For someone that thinks he is one of the best players in the world, a lot of the other pros don't agree. I was reading Daniel N's blog about a week ago and he was talking about being really excited to play in a live gave with Phil. Kind of like I am really happy to play against a couple guys that just started playing. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]