Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Please tell me what to do. (Boring job)

[ QUOTE ]
Get a raise or leave if you don't like it. Make it worth your while one way or the other. That kind of commute is absurd. Your whole day is wasted. I'd definitely look elsewhere. 8 years? That's forever in this day and age. It's not like it used to be where someone worked for one company from college to retirement.

I'm a software engineer as well. What language? With 8+ years experience, you should be able to get a really good paying job if you use the right types of technology.

[/ QUOTE ]
Negative, ghostrider. I was a finance major in college who fell into a software development job. Pretty much taught myself how to program in C and Fortran and whatever old techs my company was built upon. Don't really like programming, so am reluctant to go back to school. So basically my resume sucks, and I am too swamped to think about looking for something else right now. Wife works part-time, so this is all on my shoulders. It sucks. I'd like to do something completely different with my life, but I'm not qualified or experienced to do anything else.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I commute an hour and a half to and from work.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the point at which I was thinking "find something better and then quit".
Old 09-13-2005, 02:31 PM

If you work in the kind of call center that shows a call reader board, or you have software on your desk that tells you what the queue is, etc., you are well on your way to getting fired anyway, so have fun.

If not, why not use that time to build skills for the next level up? You are only cheating yourself by jerking off with all that free time.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM

This is typical for people who live in NJ/Long Island and work in NYC. City living is not for everybody. I like having a yard, a house, etc. Should we just pack up and move to another state? That is something I would seriously consider, but its quite scary at this point in my life.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 PM

lol. i've been playing poker for the past year, guess these bums are slacking just as much as me.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is typical for people who live in NJ/Long Island and work in NYC. City living is not for everybody. I like having a yard, a house, etc. Should we just pack up and move to another state?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there some reason - other than your job - that you're atached to NYC? It seems bizarre that someone who doesn't enjoy living in the city would choose to live in a suburb of one of the biggest cities in the world.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is typical for people who live in NJ/Long Island and work in NYC. City living is not for everybody. I like having a yard, a house, etc. Should we just pack up and move to another state?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there some reason - other than your job - that you're atached to NYC? It seems bizarre that someone who doesn't enjoy living in the city would choose to live in a suburb of one of the biggest cities in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. There's no way I'd put up with 3 hours a day driving. If I were you, I would rectify this one way or another.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Why does your wife only work part time? Physical reason/child or because she chooses to?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 30. I work in software development. I commute an hour and a half to and from work. It is Monday through Friday 800 to 600. I get a hour lunch which I rarely take. I am paid a decent salary, but since it isn't six figures in NYC, its not that great. I have acceptable benefits. I have been here for 8 years. Here is a typical day:

Get in somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00. Read hundreds of work related e-mail. Begin a list of daily assigned responsibilities. I will do this for about 1-2 hours.

Mid-morning I will begin working on whatever projects I am currently assigned to. Typically, I will have 4-5 things to me assigned at a given time, so there is a lot of context switching back and forth.

Lunch/bathroom break if I can get away from the desk.

More work, interrupted incessantly by meetings.

If its a typical day, my passive aggressive boss, who works bizarre hours, will pop by my desk and yell at me for not keeping him abreast of what I am doing.

I tell my wife that I hate it, but she tells me that I am being paid to support our household and it is something for my marginal resume.

Obviously I hate it and I feel like I am wasting my life. But I am making money (relatively very little) and I pretty much bust my ass all day and am a dick to my wife when I get home because I am so cranky/exhausted. Quit?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are helping me make my decision [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM

You need to become a consistent top-5 5x5 Weboggle player.