Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Rarely raising pre-flop in PLO/PLO8B - how EV- is this?

It's clearly 'correct' to raise pre-flop in PL/NL Hold'em, and you very obviously lose out by not doing so in many situations.

However, in PLO and PLO8B do you lose out on much EV if you rarely raise pre-flop? Since all hands in these games are drawing hands etc....

The biggest cash game I play every week is a deep stacked (average stack is around 400BBs and big stacks more than 2,000BBs) PL Dealer's Choice cash game. The most common choice is 4 or 5 card PLO8B but PLO is played a lot too. It seems that I do not raise pre-flop anywhere near as much as I do in Hold'em cash games. I am often playing in raised pots because many of the others do raise a lot pre-flop, but I probably raise less than most of the other players pre-flop. Of course, I play aggressively after the flop.

I am doing well in this game (at the moment) but am relatively inexperienced at PLO and PLO8B. For this reason I have been doing a lot of thinking about just how sub-optimal my play is in this game.

So how bad is it to rarely raise pre-flop in PLO and PLO8B? Is it a reasonable way to play (even if slightly sub-optimal) or are you losing a huge amount of EV playing this way?