Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: I\'m joining NORML.

While you're at it, join the Marijuana Policy Project.

http://www.mpp.org/
Old 10-23-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's all I need to know. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weed is good for you.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While you're at it, join the Marijuana Policy Project.

http://www.mpp.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you're still at it, can I PM ya 'bout this great project I've got goin'? I'll getcha in on tha ground floor, man. It's gonna rilly, rilly be big!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 01:24 AM

Weed has had an incredibly positive impact on my life. Ive smoked almost every day for over a year and frequently before that. I started smoking more a few years ago as an alternative to drinking bc i was turning into an alcoholic and had wrecked my car after a night of drinking. Since then i have done a lot of research and discovered that it is not only 100x healthier than drinking, but that the real health effects of it are negligent especially if vaporizing like i have been for a while now. I feel healthier than i have in years as i have abandoned drinking almost completely. The ONLY people that are anti-weed bigots are the people who have not smoked it. If they tried it they would realize it isnt the "hardcore" drug that the commercials make it out to be.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marijuana creates addicts like shopping creates addicts or chocolate creates addicts or playing Nintendo creates addicts, though. Some people will build up a psychological dependency on anything. It's different with something like alcohol or nicotine.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are implying that marijuana has no physical addictive properties, you are incorrect. That myth was dispelled years ago. Nightline did a piece on it. Ask any hardcore former pothead if he went through any physical withdrawal symptoms when he went cold turkey.

Now, obviously there are more physically addictive substances out there.

-ptmusic
Old 10-23-2005, 01:39 AM

I've been around potheads all my life, and never heard a single one describe withdrawal symptoms. My sample size is not small, and I've done the occasional bout of reading this and that about pot.

When it comes to drugs, there's almost nothing negative that won't be said about them, no matter how transparently false or purely alarmist, so I'm more than a little skeptical of what a Nightline program says, as well as what anyone says, scientists included. One thing for sure is that the government and scientists have a long and dishonorable record when it comes to straight talk about drugs.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 AM

If there was concrete evidence that marijuana caused cancer or really anything that was as damaging as most drugs/alcohol/tobacco then im sure it would be used in the commercials instead of the WEED KILLS!!! ridiculous commericals with the kids with guns or running over people in drive thrus. Weed isnt legal because it directly threatens many industries that have large lobbies in this country, mainly alcohol, tobacco, oil, phama, and in the past cotton. Money talks in this country, and that more than any apparant real danger from weed is the reason behind its illegality.

The saddest thing about this set of laws is the ridiculous incarceration of people either possesing, or selling weed. The second saddest thing is the insane ammount of money spent catching, prosectuting, and jailing these people. This is our tax dollars being wasted on an unjust drug war that will never be won anyway.

Dont know if you have checked it out yet but www.overgrow.com is a good site for lots of related info whiskey.

One of my biggest arguments is against the hypothesis of the gateway drug.

Two problems with this.

1. - things like this lead to other things depending upon who you're buying from - if you buy beer for a liquor store, you will probably end up buying hard liquor from them too - if you just buy it at 7-11, you won't be buying hard liquor because 7-11 doesn't offer it.

Marijuana users and dealers are lumped in a culture with harder drugs and if they were removed, it would be a gateway probably to other tobacco products (if sold in tobacco shops) or to baked Lays (if sold in grocery stores) -

Take it out of the hands of people who sell harder drugs and do things like spike it with other drugs, and it won't be the gateway.

My other issue is with public perception. In the 50's and 60's, the Government fed a complete line of bullshit to the American public about the dangers of marijuana. After smoking it, almost everyone realized the Government was full of [censored] - this destroys their credability on other topics, and probably contributed to the higher incidence of other drugs among marijuana smokers who reasoned that if the govt. was full of [censored] on marijuana, then they must be on Heroin or Cocaine as well - If you give people honest info, they'll make the right decisions - lie to them, and they're right to call you a [censored] and treat everything you say with contempt - that's why I no longer listen to anything GWB says with more then a passing interest. He's a goddamn liar and I know it for a fact, so why should I believe anything he says?

RB

[ QUOTE ]
I've been around potheads all my life, and never heard a single one describe withdrawal symptoms. My sample size is not small, and I've done the occasional bout of reading this and that about pot.

When it comes to drugs, there's almost nothing negative that won't be said about them, no matter how transparently false or purely alarmist, so I'm more than a little skeptical of what a Nightline program says, as well as what anyone says, scientists included. One thing for sure is that the government and scientists have a long and dishonorable record when it comes to straight talk about drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not making judgements about smoking pot. It's obviously a positive for some people. And you're right, the government can't really be trusted in this area, and marijuana should probably be legalized and regulated.

But I've worked with all kinds of addicts to overcome their addictions, and believe me, potheads have had physical withdrawal symptoms. Nothing like heroin addicts, mind you, but definitely not just psychological: heavy sweating and severe migrane headaches for two to three days are not uncommon. True, most potheads do not have physical withdrawal symptoms, but many do.

The Nightline piece had to do with the physical changes from marijuana done to the brain as seen on MRIs. Marijuana has also been proven to lower sperm count and motility. You may not trust scientists, but it would be foolish to believe that marijuana has no physical effect on humans.

-ptmusic
Old 10-23-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You may not trust scientists, but it would be foolish to believe that marijuana has no physical effect on humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

What doesnt??? Withdrawal from caffeine is probably worse than MJ. My dad started having memory problems from drinking coffee every day for 25 years. He stopped drinking it and went thru a period of feelin horrible, but guess what now he can remember things since he removed caffeine from his diet.

My point is not that caffeine is bad, just that almost everything has an impact on you, and many accepted things in society that have far greater consequences than weed.
Morphine which is a "safe" pharma drug is basically processed opium. The hypocrisy in govt is truly sad.