Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Tiger Woods v Phil Ivey

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing it was after his first round then. I can't imagine anyone sane taking -300 on Tiger over Ivey's place finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know much about golf and its history if you wouldn't even consider taking Tiger this week to beat wherever Ivey finishes.

I am not saying it is a luck, but it certainly wouldn't be that farfetched considering Tiger won by 8 shots the last time they played this event at St. Andrews...

JE

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch golf. I think it's a bit farfetched to think Tiger will have a better finish than Phil 75% of the time. Phil is second in chips with 27 left. Tiger is tied against a much larger field.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM

I watch golf. I think it's a bit farfetched to think Tiger will have a better finish than Phil 75% of the time. Phil is second in chips with 27 left. Tiger is tied against a much larger field.

[/ QUOTE ]

But like wading through the WSOP field, there are a percentage of players that realistically have no chance to win the British Open.

Additionally, luck plays a much smaller factor in whether Tiger prevails versus whether Phil prevails.

JE
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Take Lazar

I'm telling you, this guy is one helluva player. Don't know the odds, but I'm sure they're quite a bit longer than they are on either Ivey or Raymer. Obviously Ivey and Raymer are not exactly chopped liver, but if you're looking for a long shot, Lazar is very tough.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But like wading through the WSOP field, there are a percentage of players that realistically have no chance to win the British Open.

Additionally, luck plays a much smaller factor in whether Tiger prevails versus whether Phil prevails.

JE

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. So Tiger has a better chance of finishing higher than Phil. Not 75% though.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:42 PM

All a matter of opinion. Oddsmakers aren't trying to hit it exactly, they are trying to encourage even action. And I guarantee that outside of this forum, Tiger Woods carries a lot more name recognition than Phil Ivey...

JE
Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All a matter of opinion. Oddsmakers aren't trying to hit it exactly, they are trying to encourage even action. And I guarantee that outside of this forum, Tiger Woods carries a lot more name recognition than Phil Ivey...

JE

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to those betting on something like this.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day 6: \"Official\" News, Results, and Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
I'm one of those idiots who has Ivey +29000 to win it all. I'm hoping he makes the final table with a decent stack so I can hedge him at around -300 or so tomorrow morning.

I'm surprised how many people here felt that betting on the faves at odds of around 300/1 were ridiculous bets. If I had kidnapped you the day before the ME, put a gun to your head and told you I wouldn't shoot you if either

a) you guessed the exact day of the year I was born
or
b) predicted who would win the WSOP

I'm sure a lot of very stupid people would choose B.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Have you met a MAN named Tiffany?

Actually, I have some extended family where Tiffany is an old family name - for the men. I'll admit, however, that I always wondered why those guys had a girl's name.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddsmakers aren't trying to hit it exactly, they are trying to encourage even action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. They are trying to maximize their profit while not taking too much risk, which might or might not coincide with even action.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM

But minimizing risk means even action. They want the juice. In the long run, they hope to be on the slightly positive side of the bets, but they aren't trying to make their normal book that way...

JE
Closed Thread