Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Donk donk...triple

Does anyone use this line, or like it here? How do you feel about preflop? (me, I couldn't resist..)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

During the hand, it occurred to me that this line is really useful against TAGs in all sorts of blind/OOP scenarios. A lot of us auto-raise these donkbets on the flop and enjoy a second act on the turn with big pairs or when we've hit the board, especially against donks and unknowns. I've even seen decent/aggro players make 'free showdown' raises with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a spot like this.

This line doesn't work when you checkraise the flop because the aggressive players won't reraise you with as wide a range of hands, or at least that is what I'm thinking. So you give up ~.5BB (assuming you are ahead, stay ahead, and reach showdown) trying to win 1.5BB. Worth it?

(Not giving a turn free card is a huge incentive for the donkbet, but I want to downplay the 3-flush aspect.)
Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Donk donk...triple

Its a good line to use at times, however, I dont really like its use here. Id just jam the flop since a turn or river spade can seriously cripple your hand and it'll make him pay more to continue calling with a high spade (if he has one).
Old 08-22-2005, 09:40 PM

I think you played this hand well.

The difference though between check/raising with, for example a small pocket pair on a low flop here, and bet/3-betting is that you can be fairly certain the opponent will autobet however not so certain he will raise. So when the opponent does raise, it becomes less likely your hand is good as opposed to when the opponent bets...which means little to nothing. Of course if you know the opponent to autoraise at least the flop when bet into then it would obviously be a better line.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 PM

I think this line good except for the preflop part which I would fold.