Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Stud 8/B, too loose?

I'm *attemping* to learn stud 8/b, I was wondering if you guys think the 4th street call is too loose?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (1.94 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (3.94 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (5.94 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (7.94 BB)
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Stud 8/B, too loose?

what do you mean? a lot of people would raise on 4th st. and then take the lead given that the King showed absolutely no strength at all by limping in last position
Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 PM

Take the lead? What do you think that will do? Villian just caught a suited Ace to go with his King. Hero has absolutely nothing. Taking the lead here is pure horror IMHO.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 PM

sorry i misread the original post and thought he had a 4-flush
Old 08-02-2005, 04:15 PM

If he had a four flush then I definitely agree with you.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM

4th is a clear fold. Even, if villian doesn't have whatever he is representing, you are still behind to his board, not to mention almost clearly drawing to half the pot unless you hit some miracles (as you did) fold fourth, and wait for a hand where you have two way potential and you hit something constructive.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if you guys think the 4th street call is too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you know what's coming. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I will sometimes take one off with a three-flush and a three-low on fourth, especially if I have an Ace in my hand. Here, you're heads-up against someone with a strong board and your low draw is pretty weak. I think I save my money for a better gambling opportunity.

Fifth street is pretty dubious, too. Nice hand, though.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if you guys think the 4th street call is too loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you know what's coming. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I will sometimes take one off with a three-flush and a three-low on fourth, especially if I have an Ace in my hand. Here, you're heads-up against someone with a strong board and your low draw is pretty weak. I think I save my money for a better gambling opportunity.

Fifth street is pretty dubious, too. Nice hand, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy, can you explain what is wrong with 5th street? That seems mandatory, especially if you peeled one off on 4th. Note: I'm new to this game, but I'm just saying what seems logical to me. Against his probable range of hands, you should have a better than 33% ev, right?, or am I missing something?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM

His thinking about folding fifth is that he is HU against a high hand with a one way low. Now we don't really know what villian has but we can't even beat his board for high and have virually no outs for a scoop unless we hit runner runner for something most likely. Drawing to only half the pot is usally a losing situation in 8/B
Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 PM

Scags has got it. If you call fifth, you basically have to call sixth even if you blank off, so the 3:1 pot odds are a mirage.