Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Finally Playing 2 Tables - ReStart or finish both?

My first post. I've read the FAQ, and have been lurking for weeks.

I have around 300 $11 SNGs at Party (around 22% ROI). Have finally started playing 2 tables at once. Over the first 50 of them I've barely broken even. I'm re-starting a new table as soon as I bust out or win.

But I'm begining to think that, at least for a while, it might be good idea to not replace that table I just busted/won on with a new one if the other game is anywhere near the bubble.

I'm familiar with sample sizes and variance. 300 & 50 games mean nothing. I _AM_ looking for advice on "correct way" to learn 2-tabling. Options are: 1) Set my time period during which I will constantly start a new game when I bust/win, or 2) If ongoing game is on bubble, go ahead and finish that one and then start 2 fresh ones.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Finally Playing 2 Tables - ReStart or finish both?

I play sets of 4-6 tables. I let them all finish before starting a new set. But it's personal preference.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:12 PM

I find that to be an effective way as if i start them all at the same time im not really biased towards concentrating on a specific sng, and so each gets it's fair share of attention paid to it. Whereas if i stagger them, i tend to focus more on some than others, and therefore not play as well in the others, if you catch my drift.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM

hi papi,

Probably the reason that two tables can sometimes seem overwhelming is because you're thinking about your decisions a lot. Trust me, that's a good thing at this point. When I started out, even one table was too fast for me to feel comfortable.

The only way that anybody on this forum can 2 table, or 22 table, is to be able to make their decisions virtually automatically. The only way that you can make decisions automatically is to have thought through them a little bit beforehand, meaning away from the table.

The best example of this is probably bubble play, which lots of us think is the most stressful part of multitabling. Besides the fact that bubble decisions can be complicated, they're also more important--it means more to your ROI deciding whether to push four-handed from the SB than whether you're going to limp AT in level one. (Don't limp that by the way.) But luckily, SNGs in general and the bubble in particular can be broken down mathematically so that most decisions aren't really that hard. Some are closer than others, but once you study them for awhile, like with Eastbay's SNGPT program, you start to see that the same stuff starts popping up over and over. Recognizing these patterns is one of the keys to mulittabing, and to winning.

But it's hard not to want to multitable when it seems like everyone on the forum started ten-tabling in the womb. So good luck. The good news is it will definitely get easier, no matter what. The bad news is that until your most of your decisions feel really easy, then the answer to your question is it won't matter, not really.

good luck and welcome to the forum
Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that to be an effective way as if i start them all at the same time im not really biased towards concentrating on a specific sng, and so each gets it's fair share of attention paid to it. Whereas if i stagger them, i tend to focus more on some than others, and therefore not play as well in the others, if you catch my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]I find that it is sometimes a good thing to be paying less attention to some of the games -- I am much less likely to get involved with marginal hands if I have 4 tables going and something worth paying attention to at one of the other tables. For me, not paying as much attention often means playing more disciplined.

I like to start all my games as quickly as possible so that they are all about the same blind level. This way switching back and forth between tables means one less bit of information changing. But, when I bust out of a game or two early, I fire up replacements. If I get towards ITM in all my games, I won't start any new ones until the whole set is done.

I suspect that the trouble you are having moving to multiple tables is that you are thinking too much. The more you play by routine the better able to multi-table you'll become.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:17 PM

Thank you bellytimber. This had not occurred to me.

I think you may be very right about this. I am as aggressive as the SNG Poker Tools shows I need to be at the bubble. (I don't use it in real time, just to review decissions...). But your point about paying TOO much attention is on the mark. I think I get too emotionally involved and tend to think that if I could just pay more attention I'd win for sure. Need to treat it for what it is: a numbers game in the long term. More autopilot, less second guessing.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 PM

you're on the right track papi. before you know it, you'll be a winning multitabler.