Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Strange Claims

we dont play omaha once, but after a few of us got out of our main one we decided to play a quick omaha NL.

the board was something like 39944 and 2 of my friends went all in. one had AA2K the other had KK95. kk95 saw it and started taking the pot with his trips but then the other guy said- no! the best hand there was a full house but since you can only use 3 cards you couldnt have a full house! so that means you have to use your kings and i use my aces, so i win! we didnt really know what he was talking about, and he was pretty stubborn but after showing him proof a day or so later he paid the winner.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 AM

There is a regular home game that I'll play in just for s/its & giggles because they are such guppies. Anyway, it's always dealers choice and with that comes the inevitible wild card games and then the inevitible 10 minute argument with the noob that thinks his 6 of a kind is the winning hand.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM

I was playing NLHE at a pub one time, and one donk nearly folded the nut straight to a re-raise all-in because he forgot that a straight beats a set.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:38 AM

an adendum to this post, the book "poker for dummies" has a good one in it's omaha 8 or better after this statment

"Beggining players often have difficulty in determining the best Omaha hand. Before you plunk your money down and get in a game, we recommend dealing out some hands and trying to identify the best high and best low hands"

There are 8 hands to the board 34597 player 4 has a sad 34q8 and the table identifying each players best hand says "Player 4, 2 pair 4s and 3s, no low hand", which while it's probably not going to get you half the pot player 4 does have an ugly 87543 low. The authors should follow their own advice.

And, in an NL holdem game my friend bet all in into the board A8888 and won the whole pot! Opponent made a pretty tight lay down.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a regular home game that I'll play in just for s/its & giggles because they are such guppies. Anyway, it's always dealers choice and with that comes the inevitible wild card games and then the inevitible 10 minute argument with the noob that thinks his 6 of a kind is the winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of a mildly absurd home game I played where we were playing some variant of seven stud with some crazy amount of wildcards. The dumb thing was a straight flush was still the best possible hand. Five of a kind was not allowed for some reason still unknown to me. The best part was even after someone was showing a royal flush they tried to convince me to stay in the pot and draw when the best hand I could make now was four of a kind, like being second best with a monster was something to be proud of.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 AM

The home game i used to frequent, before it got a bit better had this argument (or close to it) in a crazy wild 7stud game.

1 "No, It's my pot, I have 5 queens and you only have a royal"
2 "How the hell do I lose, I have 6 wilds?"
Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of a mildly absurd home game I played where we were playing some variant of seven stud with some crazy amount of wildcards. The dumb thing was a straight flush was still the best possible hand. Five of a kind was not allowed for some reason still unknown to me. The best part was even after someone was showing a royal flush they tried to convince me to stay in the pot and draw when the best hand I could make now was four of a kind, like being second best with a monster was something to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe the royal flush was considered the best hand b/c there's no such hand as 5 of a kind. no matter how many wilds you have, the hand rankings don't change, right? i've never seen 5 of a kind listed on one of those things...
Old 11-28-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The home game i used to frequent, before it got a bit better had this argument (or close to it) in a crazy wild 7stud game.

1 "No, It's my pot, I have 5 queens and you only have a royal"
2 "How the hell do I lose, I have 6 wilds?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 11-28-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 8 hands to the board 34597 player 4 has a sad 34q8 and the table identifying each players best hand says "Player 4, 2 pair 4s and 3s, no low hand", which while it's probably not going to get you half the pot player 4 does have an ugly 87543 low. The authors should follow their own advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

He does have an 87543 low, he uses the 8 and 4 from his hand and the 753 from the board or he uses the 8 and 3 from his hand and the 754 from the board. Same result.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 PM

I have several teenaged cousins. When I saw them at a family reunion about a year ago, they were all into poker. I was playing with them and they decided to play Omaha. First hand, someone tries to claim the pot playing 3 from his hand. I had to break it to them that in Omaha we play "two from the hand, three from the board". Everyone of them honestly thought it was just 4-card holdem.

At least the lesson only cost them about 15 cents from their old cousin Tom and not a lot more to somebody online or in a B&M at some point in their future.