Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 AM

Default How to handle collusion?

I never play in a cardroom, so I was wondering: what is the best way to handle collusion if you see it in a game?

To me, there are two basic types: (1) naive (or I guess sometimes non-naive) softplaying, where friends routinely check it down once they're heads-up, and (2) evil secret cheating, where people are signaling each other or raising to knock others out and then folding before the river.

I don't know the optimal way to handle either. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: How to handle collusion?

For number 1, don't sweat it, if they're that bad you should be able to take their chips.

For number 2, if the dealer doesn't handle it, bring it to the attention of the floor.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 AM

Issue number 1 isn't really an issue. Don't worry about it. If it makes the others (usually live ones) in the game uncomfortable (which occasionally happens), politely ask them to play the hand out. Usually, though, don't worry about it.

Issue number 2 is something that you won't see anyway. Collusion of this nature isn't an issue in most games. If things don't feel "right" then quit. That's your only recourse.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Issue number 2 is something that you won't see anyway. Collusion of this nature isn't an issue in most games. If things don't feel "right" then quit. That's your only recourse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not your only recourse, it is one, but not the only one.

If you suspect something like #2 go have a talk with the floor. Any floor worth their salt will watch or have the dealer watch the action. If they feel there is a problem, they will act. Been there done that, it is an option.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 PM

#1 meh
#2 if they're good you won't know - doubt it unless you are at $100/200
#3 don't turn into a IWTSTH douche
#4 good luck

-ZEN
Old 11-22-2005, 10:19 PM

1: make friends with them

2: rack up and leave
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM

Okay, so I basically have been ignoring softplaying since I almost never see it, and the couple of times I have, it's always been among friends who are bad at poker and clearly not using it to gain an advantage. If I said something it would be pretty nonconfrontational.

I've never seen the second kind at my table, but I did see two guys get booted from a Bellagio $30/60 for collusion. I suppose the best way is to go discreetly mention it to the floorman.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 AM

Most floor can't spot collusion even if they wanted to. Most high limit regulars can't. You better be darn sure you're correct if you're going to go to the floor about something like this, especially if you want to continue playing at the cardroom. This is the catch 22. If they are really smooth, you'll never know - you'll just not win as much as you should. It takes a long time to figure these things out, unless they are clowns.