Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 11-14-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Back to back pocket AA

While watching the WSOP tournament on ESPN, I saw Hachem get pocket aces back to back. That raised my curiousity. I got out my calculator and tried to determine the odds of that scenario happening. The only thing that I could determine is that I suck at math. Can anyone show me how to determine the odds?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Back to back pocket AA

The odds of getting pocket Aces on one given hand is:
(4/52)*(3/51)=1/221. For your first card there 4 Aces and 52 unknown cards and for your second there are 3 Aces left out of 51 unknown. To figure out this happening twice in a row you just multiply 1/221 by itself:
(1/221)*(1/221)=1/48841
Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Outstanding, thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM

Hi Dachord-

Looks like your real question has already been answered, but I want to point out it's highly unlikely that the AA hands were really back to back. It's more likely that ESNP edited out some hands in between (they do this anyway.) Are you certain they were consecutive?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

i agree that ESPN probably edited (my #1 pet peeve is that they don't tell you how many hands have gone by, i think viewers could glean alot from that).

but in my counter to "online is rigged" (which i don't think is impossible or anything), i saw back to back pocket aces from same player (1 in 40,000+, as you said) in my first three hours of B&M..
Old 11-14-2005, 05:02 PM

I have had poket aces back to back on the same table twice in my life, and it happned on the same table on partypoker within 30 minutes of eachother. I was 4 tabling at the time, got AA back to back on one table, than 20-30 minutes got AA back to back again on the same table.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Tom1975 is correct --

However, it's important to remember, that if I got AA last hand, the odds of me getting AA next hand are still only 220:1
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Back to back pocket AA(NC) anecdote

A couple of years ago playing live 4/8 LHE down in Tunica the following happened at my table:

Guy on my immediate right exclaims," Oh man, I got Aces." and raises. I fold and the action builds. While in the pre-flop betting round,(details irrelevant)he shows me he indeed has pocket aces. I wonder why he is showing me and he ends up taking down the pot.

Next hand I am UTG and fold, action gets around to BB (AA dude) and he says,"Aces again? there is no way" and shows me and he indeed caught aces again. This time I laugh because I was caught off-guard and still was(am) a beginner to the game. My laugh then causes MAJOR action and every street is capped to the end and he takes down a monster pot.

So, although highly unprobable it is certainly possible.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Back to back pocket AA(NC) anecdote

[ QUOTE ]
This time I laugh because I was caught off-guard and still was(am) a beginner to the game. My laugh then causes MAJOR action and every street is capped to the end and he takes down a monster pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he toked you.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:58 PM

This game is crazy, I got pocket aces, followed by jacks, ten hands later pulled pocket queens, then aces again.
that was 3 days ago, haven't had pocket aces again yet

Cambraceres