Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 10-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Default any scary situations encountered?

i was playing at this guy's house that i didn't know too well, and he got drunk-- then he pulled out a rambo knife and put it on the table for amusement. i don't think he was trying to intimidate-- he was just being an idiot. then he stabbed the table when he lost a hand. I left as soon as i could without making a scene. anybody have scary stories like this?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: any scary situations encountered?

Got bit by a host's dog upon arrival one night, it wasn't too bad so I just bandaged it up and started playing. At the end of the night when I got up to leave the piece of [censored] dog tore in from across the house to bite me again.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:54 AM

I play in a tourney with this couple who rescue dogs. My first time there we were in the middle of playing when one of them got up to "let the dogs in" 15 dogs of all size _Ran_ in the living room to see who was there, knocking the legs out from under the table. Luckily it was a full table and several people grabbed for the edges.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 AM

I got the crap kicked outta me in a bar once, for winning. Good lesson: in a guys house, he's obligated to protect you...in some crappy bar, the owner can just yell TAKE IT OUTSIDE! while meatheads wail on you. Anyway, I lost the fight, but got up and won the tournament afterwards. So I'm a p*ssy, but I got that money!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm a p*ssy, but I got that money!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather be rich with some bumps and bruises than sit around rubbing my sore knuckles telling a story about the pussy who just emptied my pockets.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 PM

There used to be this guy that would play in some of the clubs who was a pro kickboxer. Big guy too, at least 210 lbs and 6'1. I also think he was into steroids. Anyways his wife came to tell him to come home and he went crazy. He started hitting her and a couple jumped in to stop them and he started to kick their asses too. It took around 10 guys to hold him down and took him a while longer to calm down. I'm just glad he didn't hit me.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 PM

I dealt a home game for awhile for some people in my area. Anyway, their reputation wasn't too great, and they weren't able to keep their game full, and decided to close down. I started up my own game which was very successful, and was threatened/roughed up by the people I had been dealing for. Ended up having to move because of how crazy they were. I have found that the people who play in the home games are generally much more pleasant than some hosts.

ChewyMint
Old 10-09-2005, 03:16 PM

This is more of a dumb-bullshit situation than a scary one:

One of my friends -- who owns a bar where we play poker -- went to another nearby bar to play a tournament there because the players at that bar are extremely bad and he figured he had a good chance.

Sure enough, a few blind levels into the tournament, he had a commanding chip lead and went out to smoke.

Now what he didn't know (and neither did I actually, as the one time I had played there, I never got up from my seat because I don't smoke at all and I don't drink when I play poker) is that the guy who runs the tournament at that bar has a rule in which you are not allowed to leave your seat outside of a scheduled break. The consequences? Uf you miss a hand that you're supposed to deal, all your chips go in the middle and the winner of the next pot takes them.

As he was coming back, they were putting his chips in the middle, and when he was told what was going on, he lost it and threw his chips all over the bar.

He then stormed out and went back to his bar, where me and some of my buddies were: He bitched to us, and then we all played some poker.

The story has a happy ending though: My friend's bar is one of the most successful in our city, attracting the barely-legals and the middle-aged alike with everything from poker tournaments, to karaoke nights, to dance parties, to live shows, while the nearby bar is always on the verge of closing down, as it's just a few old rednecks and gamblers singing country music and playing really bad poker.

Personally though, I think that's just because my friend has extensive experience as a lifeguard and as an entertainment coordinator.