Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Indicting a Ham Sandwich

You do realize that before GWB came along, the Democrats dominated Texas completely. In the pre-GWB Texas, the fight was among lefty Democrats and righty Democrats. The Republicans just sat around and wondered if they ever got to play.

This prosecutor has been using his position to attack political opponents. In the past, he went after the righty Democrats since they were the enemy. Now, that the Republican sare in the game (and dominating Texas politics), they're the enemy.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 PM

You can try to spin it any way you want but outside Travis County, Ronnie Earle has a terrible reputation. In a way, I'm glad Ronnie is taking his show nationally. People across the country will see what a scumbag he is.

Today, I heard a self proclaimed "liberal attorney" express his embarassment after he read Ronnie Earle's indictment. Before he read the indictment, he said he was intially licking his lips in anticipation because he does not like DeLay. After reading it, he said he was very disappointed and a little embarassed that Earle would write an indictment like that. He didn't say he felt sympathy for DeLay but he was very UNHAPPY with the tactics of Ronnie Earle.

Like I've said....the more I learn about this, the more confident I feel about this whole situation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Wishful thinking.
You allowing your dislike of Republicans to cloud you objectivity. The only people that believe this silly stories (Valarie Plume, Forge National Guard Memos, Frist Stock Sales, Bush tried to kill blacks in New Orleans, etc....) are the red-meat-true-believer liberals.

The swing voters are not being persuaded by these tactics and many swing voters are getting turned off by these tactics. Even some traditonal democrats are getting upset. All this is fine with me. The more the democrats alienate people, the better it is for the country. The country would really go downhill if we had someone like Kerry as president.

I just wish Bush quit playing santa claus with the tax payers money and break out his veto pen. I'm NOT very happy with Bush and I'm ready for him to be an ex-president. I think George Allen will be the new Republican nominee and I find him VERY impressive. This guy will be another Reagan!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:33 PM

So, to sum up:

* grand juries will indict anyone for anything
* the prosecutor is biased against The Party
* the whole thing has been arranged by Party Enemies
* news from outside the Party Media is untrustworthy
* always trust the Party Leadership
* all is well

Thanks for the update. Without this reassurance, I might have thought that the criminal indictment of the U.S. House Majority Leader was actually cause for concern.

q/q
Old 09-28-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The swing voters are not being persuaded by these tactics and many swing voters are getting turned off by these tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen any polls lately?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 PM

<Sigh> Bush is not running in 2008.
I'm getting sick of Bush as well. It is wishful to believe that Bush's lowered approval will translate in massive democrat gains. You will see this for yourself in 2008.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wishful thinking.
You allowing your dislike of Republicans to cloud you objectivity. The only people that believe this silly stories (Valarie Plume, Forge National Guard Memos, Frist Stock Sales, Bush tried to kill blacks in New Orleans, etc....) are the red-meat-true-believer liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about whether or not these stories are true; as any good political mouthpiece knows, it's repetition that ensures penetration into popular opinion - not necessarily objective truth.

Which is only to say that by merely having the words "Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay" and "criminal indictment" repeated ad nauseam in the media over the next few days exacts a toll, whether the actual indictment has merit or not.

It's folly to think this has absolutely no political consequences, and it's a red herring to make this about whether or not the indicment is credible.

Remember what you said - DeLay will emerge without a scatch - clearly, this isn't true; I think he's already been scratched. And certainly, the words 'corrupt' and 'Republican' will find their way into Dem. ads in 06', at the very least. Again, this isn't to say "DEMOCRATS WILL WIN" - only to say that, the 'corrupt Republicans' narrative is being constructed now, and at the very least, it's distraction for whatever's left of Bush's 2nd term agenda. In other words, this has consequences, and not just for DeLay.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Some points that this post have not brought to light. The esteemed DA presented this case to SIX Grand Juries before finally winning an indictment. Also, this same DA once indicted himself, and then dropped the charges. He's a screwball.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<Sigh> Bush is not running in 2008.
I'm getting sick of Bush as well. It is wishful to believe that Bush's lowered approval will translate in massive democrat gains. You will see this for yourself in 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is from a national poll conducted on behalf of Democracy Corps:

[ QUOTE ]
Democrats have a 9-point lead in the congressional balloting -- produced by a continuing fall in the numbers of people wanting to vote Republican. As in our last poll, Democratic House incumbents are running 10 points stronger against their opponents than Republican incumbents against theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wishful thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You try to conflate actual serious investigation, arrest, and indictments with rumors the vast majority of liberals don't believe. The facts are Frist, Delay, Abramoff, Safavin, and who ever leaked Plame's name - i think Libby & Rove- have legal problems. All this Ronnie Earl is a liberal zealot talk may be true but it doesn't matter as an aritcle in the Washington Post shows. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092801973.html "It is entirely possible both that your enemies are out to get you and that you did exactly what you are being accused of doing. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive."

Arguing R. Earl is a loon and John Kerry sucks won'thelp you much. Until the GOP finds a better talking point they are going to be in trouble. I predict the House republicans will drop their staunch suport for Delay as soon as they realize he isn't worth fighting for. There is no way he will ever get back to party leader. Not only would it look like they are moving backwards and not forwards, politicians are and ambitious bunch and I am sure there are some guys who have been waiting in the wings to get their chance and they are not going to put their goals on ice for Delay.