Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Default I hate poker players

Since im one for broad generalizations and sweeping comments, heres another one. Poker players are the biggest assholes in the world.

I'm playing a live NL tourny lastnight and Im at a table full of idiots wearing sunglasses talking to anybody who will listen about what the correct way to plat the last hand would have been. The expression "I had you on..." is said every 8.2 seconds with an authoritative air. I dont think anything is actually said that doesnt involve directly or inderectly berating someone. Every story that gets told is about some idiot who overcalled 2 all ins with bottom pair, and how could anyone be so stupid???

I play online and its nothing but whining and berating and [censored] talking. If I can find a table that doesnt have a table coach or some idiot who has to type in "OMG, you are the luckiest f.uck, you a ssho le!!!!11!!1" after every hand, its a miracle.

I read these forums and its full of cocky fucks who think because they can make X dollars an hour, they somehow know something about life, or that they are better than all the people who can't.

I hate the fact that I find myself acting like all these assholes. Its like this contagious disease, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not superior to the retarded WPT fanboy at my table just because he collects issues of card player and reads Daniel Negreaunu's blog, and has to use the term "implied odds" everytime he tells someone how they played a hand wrong. I hate typing some backhanded witty comment in the chat window like "well played!" just because some guy who plays for fun called 3 bets cold with 95o and rivered 2 pair on me. I hate that I cant make it through more than 5 minutes of celebrity poker while watching TV with my GF, because havng to watch people who cant play poker, makes me want to vomit blood.

It's a [censored] card game!!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: I hate poker players

*ahem*

You play poker?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 PM

Tooooo funny. The thing is, there are people like this in every aspect of life. For instance, you go to a sports bar to watch Monday Night Football and there's always a dozen or so armchair quarterbacks who think their expertise is far superior than any pro. Just one of millions of examples. So, my disagreement with you is that poker is not the exclusive domain of assholes, but there's a bunch of them out there. My father told me more than once that the village idiots will always outnumber the good guys.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:52 PM

One of the best rants. Ever.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:00 PM

one thing to consider is that a lot of poker players are boring people with boring lives - that's why we're attracted to poker, it injects some action into the proceedings. i honestly think a lot of times when people go on and on and on about poker hands at a poker table, it's because they're really just trying to make conversation, but they have nothing else to talk about.

even me, when i'm sitting at a table at foxwoods with a bunch of grumpy guys i have nothing in common with (other than poker), and we're all just sitting around silently, and i'm wondering why the hell i drove all this way just to be in this miserable situation, even i sometimes pipe up with a comment related to poker. just to get my neighbors talking, even though poker is actually a boring conversation subject in general and i know this.

ie maybe some of these people aren't quite as bad as you think they are. they're douchebags, but they can't help it.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the best rants. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 PM

Nh
Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 AM

Back in the mid 90's I used to play chess online and frequent alt.rec.games.chess

Poker players are civil brain surgeons in comparison. (But I would say the same thing about Attila the Hun - online chess was a bad social experience)
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 AM

You write good.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:35 AM

summarises perfectly why i have chat off 99% of the time and have not played live since may