Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Am I beat here? (QQ post flop)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (10 handed) converter

CO (t3254)
Button (t1685)
SB (t3760)
BB (t2483)
UTG (t3080)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t3470)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2263)</font>
MP1 (t4430)
MP2 (t8030)
MP3 (t1465)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t500, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1225) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t1000</font>, Hero ???.

Villain had previously limp re-raised 55 all-in UTG against me, and lost, and had built his stack up. Other than that, I only saw him play one hand (his KKKJJ vs AAJJ).

Pre-flop, I wanted to make sure that no A or K came on the flop. While the call was 1/4 of my stack, I'd rather confidently fold and have 1500 left if an A or K came, then get in a coin flip and lose it all... so, I smooth-called pre-flop because I wanted to make sure that no A or K came, and then the money would go in. I realize that if I fold after the flop, I have 10xBB. But, I think that is better than 0xBB.

However, after the flop, what could I beat with the way he was betting? I could not beat AA, KK, JJJ, 999, which are hands that he could have raised pre-flop with. I could beat AK (although AKc / AQc would be scary), AJ (with AJc being really scary). However, I ruled out JJJ and 999, because I don't think he would bet that much after the flop, he'd probably go for all of my chips with a check-raise.

I also think he would straight push all-in after the flop with any Ax flush draw.

So, ruling those two hands out, and ruling out the flush draw, I am only losing to AA and KK. With the exception of AJo, what hands can I beat here? What's my play?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Am I beat here? (QQ post flop)

I'm pushing here. You got the best non-Q flop you can get. He makes a standard bet, which could be done with AK/AQ/AJ, etc. I think he checks to you with any bigger hand.

Nice hand.

ChewyMint
Old 08-28-2005, 06:50 PM

I really think this is a great flop for you, and I'd pop him back with a push.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:59 PM

So basically you were looking for a flop that:

1. Had no overs
2. Was checked by your opponent

This is extremely weak play with a pair of queens and shallow stacks. Especially with evidence that your opponent will overplay small pairs.

The bottom line is that you had the third best hand in Hold 'Em, and you let your opponent (who is out of position) control the hand from start to finish.

Frankly, the whole tone of your post suggests that you are weak/tight, which is a major leak. You keep talking about minimizing your losses, rather than maximizing your gains.

Push preflop. Push on the flop. Just do something.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:14 PM

he would bet this way with a lot of hands.. AA/KK are posibilities but you don't have nearlyyy enough information to be sure of that. Personally i would have pushed preflop.. but since you just called this is a great flop for you, definitely push.

He doesn't have 99 or JJ, could have KJ AJ JT TT or any nunmber of other hands that he made too big of a continuation on.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:31 PM

This is a perfect spot to get all-in preflop.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a perfect spot to get all-in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 AM

Well, I just wanted to see if there's any way I could have gotten away from the hand. I pushed, and he calls with KK. I think maybe if we had deeper stacks (much deeper), I may have played out more like this:

Pre-flop: He raises, I re-raise, he re-raises, I call.
Post-flop: He bets, I raise, he re-raises, I fold.

But, as it stands, based on the stack sizes, there was nothing that could be done. Sometimes you're just meant to get knocked out.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:04 AM

dude you are weak tight.

go all in preflop.

go all in on the flop.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just wanted to see if there's any way I could have gotten away from the hand. I pushed, and he calls with KK. I think maybe if we had deeper stacks (much deeper), I may have played out more like this:

Pre-flop: He raises, I re-raise, he re-raises, I call.
Post-flop: He bets, I raise, he re-raises, I fold.

But, as it stands, based on the stack sizes, there was nothing that could be done. Sometimes you're just meant to get knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO