Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Am I supposed to flat call this river?

Live $5-$10 11 handed. UTG player is good when he wants to be. He can be too loose calling pre- and post-flop, but when he's showing aggression, he's usually got the goods. He runs his mouth too much in hands also.

UTG open raises. I 3-bet with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folds to UTG who 4-bets. I call.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG bets. I raise. UTG 3-bets. I announce, "Cap it," and 4-bet, but UTG reminds me, "Uh huh. Heads up, no cap. 5 bets." Uh oh. I call. UTG says to the dealer, "Dealer, I will pay you $20 to not pair the ****ing board."

Turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG bets. I raise. UTG says, "Goddamnit," and calls.

River is the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG bets.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Am I supposed to flat call this river?

Ugh. Yeah. You can't fold to a three-bet. And given your description he doesn't have TT enough to justify raising.

There better be a goddamn jackpot where you are playing.

Will
Old 10-23-2005, 02:11 AM

There are 12 combos of KK. 1 of them beats you. Falt calling is terrible. Call a three bet, but man would this freaking epitomize MUBS if you feared a royal flush.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 12 combos of KK. 1 of them beats you. Falt calling is terrible. Call a three bet, but man would this freaking epitomize MUBS if you feared a royal flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boggle.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more illustrative, there are only 6 combinations of KK and none of them beat me. If you meant AK, there are 16 combinations, and only 1 of them beats me. But then again, only one of them beats a full house, which UTG has indicated he understands I have on the turn (at least), and is making a crying call-down.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more illustrative, there are only 6 combinations of KK and none of them beat me. If you meant AK, there are 16 combinations, and only 1 of them beats me. But then again, only one of them beats a full house, which UTG has indicated he understands I have on the turn (at least), and is making a crying call-down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant AK which there are 16 combos not 12 as you stated. I don't think Villian has KK, but he may not have wanted the board to pair because of that? I don't know, but [censored] dude, you have to raise that.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:25 AM

I'd be thinking jackpot...and start dancing on the table....
And then raise. Call at 5 bets or so.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be thinking jackpot...and start dancing on the table....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make it clear in case it affects anyone's analysis (although I don't see how), there is no jackpot. This is a just a local cardroom in NC.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:29 AM

Yeah I don't see how you can raise here. Your hand is basically face up at this point the way this hand has gone down. He can beat a full house and he almost surely doesn't have TT given the action.

Brad
Old 10-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Borodog,
I am no expert of this game and am just getting my feet wet in the 2-4 game. But here is my 2 cents worth. Please advise if my thinking is incorrect.

On the Flop UTG does not want the board paired. Okay if we believe him than he has AK for the straight. Lets move to the turn...

Turn you Raise and he just calls. If he has QQ and was misleading you on the flop then I would think he would have raised once more with the nut full house (baring that quads is out there potentially) and see where he stands. If he has 10-10 He may raise again to see where he stands.

If he believes you have a full house and he has AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is his only out and you mentioned he is a good player most of the time, so I would have thought on the turn if he had AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] most likely he would have folded and respected the full house out there with the only one out for the flush to win the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

With this all being said, my thought when the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits on the river and he bets, I would have raised once putting him on QQ or 10-10 first of, second i would put him on AK anything and trying to buy the pot with the aggressive bet, and lastly I would put him on AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the royal.

Thus I would have raised his river bet once and called his reraise if he did and just grin and bear it with my quad jacks.

Thats my 2 cents worth on how I would have played it.

Hope all worked out for you.
The Colonel