Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Solid Player Over-Defends

The table is generally loose and aggressive, but this time it folded around (strange.) Anyway, the SB Villain is a solid player, getting the money in with AK and then seeing the river. The only catch is, he seems to defend his blind way too much (even for a loose game.)

UltimateBet 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
7 folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB folds

Flop: (5 SB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls

Turn: (3.5 BB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, Hero??? bets, SB check-raises, Hero??? calls (yuck)

River: (7.5 BB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero folds

Final Pot: 8.5 BB

I know that this is not too terribly difficult a hand, but I have one main question. Knowing that this guy is pretty solid, and most likely didn't call the flop without a pair, should I have bet out at the turn when the board pairs?

I know my call of his turn C/R was a huge mistake now, but I can get stubborn in these types of hands. Would it have been better to just check the turn and take the freecard? I lost two big bets here when I could've easily lost zero or one.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Solid Player Over-Defends

Calling the turn c/r is a huge mistake if you plan to fold the river.

If this opponent will defend his SB with a wide range and play back at you often postflop, I would check behind the turn and call a river bet. What do you accomplish by betting the turn? You bet for value, sure, but if you cannot pick off a c/r bluff with high confidence, you're much better off inducing a river bluff.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Solid Player Over-Defends

against a good player who is somewhat tricky i would check behind on the turn and call a river bet. the reason is that he will check raise with many pairs or even with nothing at all because he knows that you have probably only ace high or less (and he might bluff his money off on the river with nothing).

against a weak passive player who won't check raise as a bluff and often call and check the river with a pair i would bet and check the river behind him. the reason simply is that ace high is the best hand very often and i don't want to give a free card.