Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Is It Possible To Win A Tight Hold \'em Game, Theoretically?

[ QUOTE ]
But, what about ultra-tight games, with tricky players?

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the poker available right now, why are you wasting you time in an ultra-tight game with 'ticky players'? Move on to something more profitable.

If you HAVE to play with ultra-tight players, just adjust your bluffing frequency. Bluff more often. If your players are better than you, using gaming theory to dictate when you should bluff. (See Skalnsky's 'Theory of Poker' for more on bluffing and gaming theory).
Old 11-04-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Example:
MP1 posts. 3 folds, check, two folds, I raise in the CO with 98o, 4 folds. I net $2.50 = 1.25 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see myself raising with 98o in the CO. I see myself folding. Why would you raise in that situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
98o is not a good hand. I did not expect to have the best hand. This was a semi-bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is an example from NL, where position is even more powerful:

This was a relatively tight table, as you can see from the pot sizes of previous hands. When the player in front of me posted 1.5 BB and checked, I thought it was a good time for a semi-bluff.

Everyone folded, so I won 3 big blinds. (Note that an ordinary blind steal wins only 1.5 big blinds.) If they hadn't all folded, I would have regretted my raise, but not by 5 big blinds unless there was a reraise. I would have made a continuation bet on any flop, which I expect would be profitable, and if someone plays back at me, there is a small chance I flopped a monster or a profitable draw.

This was a tight table, but I finished at $383, net +$203.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is It Possible To Win A Tight Hold 'em Game, Theoretically?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Next question ...

Adam
Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 AM

playing the opposite of your opponents is actually correct AS LONG AS THEY FAIL TO ADJUST to what you are doing. if you're in there raising with any marginal hand when you have position and they just give you the pot PF or for one bet on the flop, then they can't win against you playing like that. in order for a tight player to take advantage of what you are doing, they would have to lower their 3-betting standards, etc. to force you to make a hand.

if the players are ultra tight, and you are ultra loose, you are going to crush the game unless they start adjusting.