Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Why do the pros show up to major tournaments late?

What i found more absurd was how many get up and leave during the tournament for long stretches of time. I saw Hellmuth walk around for at least 45 minutes promoting a party he was going to host that night during the 10K PLO tourney. Thats crazy...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:36 AM

I'd guess on average its

50% Ego
25% Strategic/Image/ Intimidation
25% Just plain late or does not want to fight the crowds early on
Old 10-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Am I doing something wrong when I use the search function, or does 2+2's search engine just suck? I looked up "paul" and "pros" and "tournaments" and "late", and get a list of tons of posts just from today. I don't seem to be quite as inept using other search functions.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:58 AM

An online pro like Thomas Keller probably averages over $1K per hour that he plays on the internet (and possibly a lot more than that as he 3 or 4 tables nosebleed games like 300/600). If he is in a tourney that costs $5K to enter, if he comes 2 hours late he has effectively slashed the entry fee dramatically. Starting a tourney with 95% of your chips but "paying" only 50% or 60% of the entry fee is a solid tradeoff. I'm not saying that they're actually playing online poker instead of showing up, it's just a thought.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I doing something wrong when I use the search function, or does 2+2's search engine just suck? I looked up "paul" and "pros" and "tournaments" and "late", and get a list of tons of posts just from today. I don't seem to be quite as inept using other search functions.

[/ QUOTE ]

type "paul phillips" into the username section when you search.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Then why play at all?

Its either a legit reason, like got stuck in traffice, but mostly just excessive ego and being an arrogant shmuck.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Or he was playing a cash game until 6:00 a.m. and knew he wouldn't be on his A game, so he showed up late to catch up on sleep, thus improving his tournament EV. Of course this could only be true if he was hours late, not 15 minutes, as I doubt 15 minutes sleep would make much difference for anybody.

After submitting my hypothesis, I think it's just because he had it set up. What are the odds that ESPN just happened to have a camera in front of the Rio to show Phil arriving in his limo. He set it up to get more 20 year old frat boys worshipping at the altar of bad boy Phil, thus improving his lifetime EV.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Same reason there's always some self-image obsessed types (of coures not applying to everyone late) who show up to parties late "by accident".
Old 10-20-2005, 02:21 PM

I'm assuming that it's the same reason any middle age man who has worked his 9-5 desk job for the last 15 years. He'll start showing up a little late a few days of the week and taking and extra long lunch break. To the interns in the company they can't understand why this guy isn't working, why he just don't seem to care anymore. Well to the pros this is just another day at the office.

It psychs the other players out and it allows the pro to 'make an entrance'.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM

It is simply called attention no other reason.