Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Default 22 in SB (What needs to happen?)

Okay let's say we have 22 in the SB, everyone folds to MP2 who raises, everyone folds to SB, and let's also assume the BB will fold.

In a $5/$10 game there would be $17 in the pot, $8 to call, pot odds of 2.125, we are 7.51 to 1 to hit trips on the flop, so this would be an easy fold. Right?

So, what are the odds we generally need to call here? 4 to 1? Suppose there is an MP limper, an LP raise, and a reasonable chance the BB will call. Is this the minimum to call here?

Blinds (7) + Limper (5) + Raiser (10) + BB Call (say 60% *5=3) + Limper Call (5)
Total Pot = 30 (discluding the money we would put in the pot)

30 / 8 to call = 3.75 to 1

Would this be enough to try and hit the trips? Could we call with less than this? Would it take more?

Also, how much more would it take to call two cold on the button, with 22?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: 22 in SB (What needs to happen?)

Not nearly enough to draw for a set. 22 isn't enough hand for me to play from the SB against an MP2 range, but if you decide to play you should always come in for a 3-bet. That part isn't close.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:17 AM

This is a very clear fold in this situation.

A good rule for when to play a hand purely for set value is that you need the pot to be about 5-handed or better. If you are calling without a clear chance this will be true, you need to expect you have a decent chance of winning the hand unimproved.

22 is a fold here because:
-It doesn't hold up unimproved that often.
-Even heads-up, this hands will be a real bitch to play; it's hard to ever fold a pair in a heads-up pot against a decently aggressive opponent (read on villain?)
-You are out of position
-You are laying big reverse implied odds (tenuous hands, small pot, etc...)
-BB is left to act behind you; he may have a big hand; if he calls also you are in horrible shape, because you're dodging twice as many overcards; your hand is not strong enough to merit three-bettting to drive out BB.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM

I agree with both of you. I have generally been letting go of 66-22 in the small blind to a raise, unless it looks like a blatant steal, in which case I will make it 3 bets with a 66. With 77 I will generally play back a high percentage of the time.

I was just seeing if there was anytime others were playing small pairs in the SB profitably, that I was missing out on.