Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 03:30 AM

Default $3/$6 am I way off base here???

$3/$6 Limit Ameristar

Been playing about an hour or so, game is generally loose passive. It seemed like anytime someone raised Pre-Flop they had a big pocket pair. This is the very first hand for the Villain as he has just sat down. The other peculiarity is that he only bought in for $50.

Hero is BB w/ 77

Villain limps in CU
SB calls
Hero checks

Flop: 7 3 4 (Rainbow)

SB checks, Hero checks, Villain bets, SB folds, Hero raises, Villain re-raises, Hero ????????????????????????????

Here's the thing. I thought this was a very obvious play. This was actually a hand my little brother played (he is new to live poker.) We seem to STRONGLY disagree.

I want to know, what do you do on the flop? What do you do on the turn? And why.

Results to be posted later.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: $3/$6 am I way off base here???

I could be crazy, but this should be the shortest post ever.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:46 AM

Villain thinks he's good...but he didn't raise PF. That means he's either on AA or KK (and didn't want to risk no action) or he's on 88 or 99...or I suppose could be on a set of 3's or 4's. In any case, call the 3-bet and c/r the turn, hoping for another 3-bet which you can cap and lead out the river.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:33 AM

hero kicks his own ass for not playing no limit overs....

which ameristar was this at....

peace

john nickle
Old 07-10-2005, 04:39 AM

He bought in for $50. I assume that since this was his first hand at the table, he actually posted in the cutoff and didn't limp. Regardless...

He has now thrown 12 of his $50 into the pot. The absolute worst case scenario is that he flopped the straight with 56; if that happened, you're going to fill up pretty damn often. More often than not he's either got a smaller set, an overpair, two pair, or some completely off the wall hand that he's decided just must be good. In any of these cases you are way, way ahead.

At any rate, assuming that betting is not capped heads up, I'm not stopping until he's all in. Although I suppose it would save time if you waited for a non-5, non-6 turn to do it.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:49 AM

RAISE RAISE RAISE RAISE RAISE RAISE RAISE

That should get him all-in.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 AM

I would have bet the flop - nobody is going to believe that you have anything.

After that - you RAISE. If you flop a set and lose you BETTER lose a lot of money or else you played it wrong. UNLESS of course it's obvious but . . .not this time.

You have top set and top boat draw!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Is the average person really going to put in say, 10 bets here without a straight? I guess against a random guy who bought in for 50 bucks, I can see getting it all in here.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Results

Interesting. The first poster was the only one who shared my philosophy. In this hand, you are definitely not afraid you are beaten. If he has 56 then you are going to lose a lot of money unless you fill up. Oh well. But your main goal here is to try to get is whole stack in the pot. What me and my brother disagreed on was how to go about doing that.

My brother capped it on the flop and the guy studied him for a minute then folded. My brother said well hindsight is always 20/20 but I don't think so in this case.

I think you have to just call the 3-bet on the flop, then C/R the turn. If he has any big pair you're going to make a lot of money regardless. If he has two big cards then he may be raising to get a free turn card (which is an argument for leading out on the turn, but I would C/R.) I mean if the guy had something like AK or AQ hell even KQ (which I think may be the case, he's just playing at this flop) then you're wanting to give him a card to catch up a little.

As it was he had the dream flop for 77 (7 3 4 rainbow) and killed his action with a 4th bet on the cheap street. Even a donkey can wake up and smell the big hand when you 4 bet it. Capping it on the flop is just giving away valuable information. You have to trap here I think.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Villain could have limped a big PP here fearing he will merely fold out the blinds. I think I c/r the turn here, although keeping the gas down on the flop ain't bad either. I guess I don't think it matters much either way, unless the board is 2-tone.