Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Default $11 ITM - Tricky Situation - 66

3-handed on PP, Blinds 100-200, I'm the BB

Button - 4000
SB - 2600
BB - 1400

Button raises to 400, SB calls.

I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

200 in the pot, I have 1200 left. I didn't push thinking I'm beat or coin flippin'. I called leaving me with 1000, to see what flop was like.

Comments?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: $11 ITM - Tricky Situation - 66

I think you made the worst move possible. This is an auto push for me, and it's not even close. I can see folding, but calling is just horrible.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:04 AM

The flop, half way out of position with 2 others in isn't going to be way too much trouble, not to mention calling is terrible to begin with.

Easy push, you may even have FE on the B, for sure on the SB.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:05 AM

I would also call. I don't see much FE, and you are getting 5-1 on a call. Depending on how tight the opponents have been playing, I might push a ragged flop.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM

I think calling is just terrible. Why do you have no FE?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM

Default The antithesis of tricky.

Nothing tricky about it. Push.

- The big stack's range is generally very wide here. Your equity is at least 50%. With pot odds of 1.2:1, this is a clear +EV play. You are better off with this hand then hands like KQo here (although I'd push with that too).

- A pair 3 handed is a big hand.

- You are extremely short stacked. In just 6 hands you'll lose half of your stack to the blinds. My push range includes hands much weaker than 66 here, especially if the big stack is raising a lot of hands.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also call. I don't see much FE, and you are getting 5-1 on a call. Depending on how tight the opponents have been playing, I might push a ragged flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling is terrible. We're calling off almost 1/3rd of our stack and we won't have any idea if the flop helped our opponent or not. Unless we make a set we can't be sure we have the best hand. We need to gamble to double up, and more times than not we have the best hand.

A note on set value: Even if our stack was big enough to play for set value, we're only getting 3.5:1 odds for the call, not 5:1. If my opponents tend to pay off sets regularly I would need about 4.5:1 to make this call.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 AM

What flop are you looking for? 6xx? 543? Most flops are going to have several overcards. You can either SnG this or just outright push. Either way it doesn't matter. But making a decision based on the flop is bad because often times it won't be a "good" flop.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Good feedback.

Here was my logic, and please correct me if something is invalid:

The players were tighter than most, and especially the SB who called the raise. I only called off 1/6 of my stack (not a good move, but not outrageously horrible either??).

As for fold equity, not sure it was great based on the tightness of the players at this point. I thought by waiting and then pushing with other hands with small raises could get me more chips.

As for those who said "what kind of flop are you looking for" - obviously most will not be good. But I thought calling 200, then seeing a decent flop, then pushing with 1000 more to double up or take the 1200 in the pot.

This decision was more dependent on my analysis of the players at the table. In a normal situation, I would have pushed.

Given what I said - is this still a huge push? Did my logic/the way I played it make sense?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:35 PM

Based on it all, I still think it's a clear push.
Calling 1/6 is very bad.

I mean, they may be tight, but it's still 66, you still have to push, unless it's like the only time he's raised all game. Even then I push.

It's still a huge push. Rather fold then call though.