Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Default does cutting prevent cheating?

my friend says that his friend can manipulate hands even after the deck has been cut by a player other than himself. i was wondering how this is possible. you would have no way of knowing what cards were on the top or bottom. anyone know?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: does cutting prevent cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
my friend says that his friend can manipulate hands even after the deck has been cut by a player other than himself.

[/ QUOTE ]Seems funny that you're asking us. Why don't you ask this guy? You said he was your friend.

At the very least, even if your friend (pretends that he) can manipulate a deck after a cut, it certainly stops the rest of us.

Cut your cards.
-Sam
Old 07-15-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems funny that you're asking us. Why don't you ask this guy? You said he was your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read my post again. Thanks for the other answers. I guess he must undo the cut somehow, but my friend seems sure he doesn't. He just told me that he could after a cut and I wasn't sure if that was possible (w/o undoing the cut). I don't live near them or play with them so I haven't seen it happen in person.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:39 AM

Only way this could be true (that I know of) is if he knows what cards are around others... he could then know what someone might have after he gets one of those cards.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 AM

The most common way is to put a crimp in the deck so when a person cuts they cut at the crimp and actually restore the deck to the order prior to the dealer crimping then cutting.
A crimp is a slight bend in the cards creating a small gap when the two halves are stacked up that the fingers will naturally find when cutting. Look for a gap before cutting and cut away from it and the dealer will most likely lose track of the order of the cards.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 AM

I knew a guy that would do this. We would just chop the deck three or four times when he was dealing. The first time he saw us do it he was in shock. Started in with "what are you doing that for?" Everyone knew and lauged.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 PM

I do the same thing, I believe, but I do it for everyone. Cut the deck into 3 or 4 piles, varying the size, and stack them back up in a different order- gets rid of the original top and bottom card.

I don't think anyone is good enough to set the deck if I'm the one cutting it in this manner.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Another common but more difficult method is to crimp the bottom card of the arranged deck prior to offering it to be cut. When the deck is cut, the crooked dealer locates the original bottom (crimped) card and re-cuts the deck secretely at this location.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 PM

My method of multiple stack cuts wouldn't prevent this completely, but it could disrupt the cards needed to complete the set hands.

The cheater could always get back to their card, but they couldn't get the rest of the deck in order.

That is also why the dealer shouldn't shuffle their own cards. The shuffler should give them to the dealer, who cuts them and deals. Even more secure but tedious is A shuffles, B cuts and C deals...
Old 07-15-2005, 12:34 PM

The key to a fair deal is a one handed box cut, followed by squaring the deck to eliminate any jags.