Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM

Default My Poker Logic

Well in my previous post I described how I hit a downswing and went from a bankroll of 1000 to 300 and then decided to study hands and change my game and havent looked back since.

Well basically I ran my bankroll to 1000 playin pretty much how all the regular poker books adviced to play, very tight preflop, only taking flops with the best hands and betting the max with any A/A hand. Of course as soon as I ran bad I got run over.

When I was down to 300 I analyzed my hands and since I had no Pot Limit Omaha books at the time I decided to create my own style that went against most books. I decided that I would raise the same amount with any hand I liked and not just aces. I would also not pot it preflop because I wanted to create big pots, not heads up matches where someone could hit a miracle flop and break me. So I essentially started playing a loose aggressive style. I took a lot of flops and outplayed everyone after the flop even if they outplayed me somewhat preflop.

Ever since then I havent looked back and I have been doing nothing, but winning. However I hear a lot of people say you gotta play more aggressive preflop, you gotta play less hands, and all this other stuff from a friend of mine that plays poker among others. I wonder can someone win long term being loose aggressive. My decisions after the flop are usually flawless, I dont experience wild swings or anything. The most I ever lose in one day is 2 buy ins. The most I win in one day is 5 buy ins. I usually average 1.5 buy ins a day. I ran horrible for a week, I kept getting rivered at every spot and everything seemed to go wrong, at the end of the week I had lost, 0. I had broken even.

I am having doubts about my game because every book I read except maybe "How good is your Pot Limit Omaha?" pretty much says my style is insane and that I should play less hands. A friend tells me dont mess with success, but another is like wow you play a lot of hands, madness. Books also say is madness, which makes me wonder.

I want to be the best player I can be, but I tried playing tight aggressive for a week and I kept losing because I would commit a lot of money preflop with A/A and I could no longer make decisions after the flop because it was too big to fold. This completely eliminated my edge of outplaying people after the flop and of course I lost for that week.

Its just so hard to find the perfect way to play, im not even sure there is one? I hear people say this and that, but I just cant play like the books say and cant play how people say? Am I wrong for thinking this way? Should I just play how I always do? Can a loose aggressive player be a long time winner? This has also been on my mind a lot, so much that I wasted a week playing like the books and other people told me to, only to lose money. I of course got it all back plus interest using my style, but still, maybe I was unlucky that particular week?