Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Official Micro-Limit October Goals

As I'm sure most people know, setting goals for yourself is a good way of motivating yourself to accomplish something that you want to. That said, there are a few guidelines that you should follow when you're making poker-related goal

Never to make a $$ related goal. Because poker is such a long term game, you are sometimes just not able to win as much as you would like in a given time frame. I have gone through multiple 200BB downswings, and really there's not much you can do about it. So try to make goals pertaining to the number of hands you want to play if you want this kind of a goal. What I do is guess what my winrate is, figure out how much money I want to make, and then make my goal to play however many hands it will take me to win that much. But once you have done this, FORGET ABOUT THE MONEY. Your only concern must now become getting the hands in. I think that hands goals are usually the most important ones (at least for me) so everybody should have one.

There are a few other goals that I see that you should consider making.

1) Reading goals: Self-explanatory. Pick a poker pook or two that you need to (re)read. This type of goal is especially helpful for n00bs, anybody looking to expand their knowledge, or anybody who is lacking confidence.

2) Moving up goals: These are not too common, as moving up depends on a few things such as confidence, bankroll and exerience. These goals are not a good idea for too many players. They are best left to veteran players who have a very good idea where they are in their game, and what it's going to take to hit the next level.

3) Specific game aspect goals: These are goals that focus on a specific aspect of the game. An example of these would be working on isolating loose raisers, hand-reading, or calculating pot odds. These types of goals are a good idea for everybody and can be tied in nicely with the reading goals.

4) non-poker goals: These are (can you guess?) goals that are not related to poker. Some non-poker goals include banging at least 3 bitches, reading a non-poker related book, or challenging somebdy who pwned you in a LL sidebet to some sort of rematch.

Let me know if I left anything out, and good luck making your goals