Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Interesting 15/30 AA hand live

Loose Monday evening 15 game at Hollywood Park. I've got A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise UTG. Thinking player to my left cold calls, folded around to the big blind (solid regular) who also calls. ~6.5 SB going to the flop (the small blind is two-thirds of a bet, subtract a bit for the rake).

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Blind checks, I bet, player to my left calls, blind check-raises, I three-bet, both players just call. 15.5 SB and we see the turn, which is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Blind bets, I fold with the four-straight on the board.

Bad laydown here getting 7.5-1? I should mention that I had seven chips left in front of me, so a call would put me all in; therefore future action was not a concern. Results to follow...
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Interesting 15/30 AA hand live

[ QUOTE ]
Loose Monday evening 15 game at Hollywood Park. I've got A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise UTG. Thinking player to my left cold calls, folded around to the big blind (solid regular) who also calls. ~6.5 SB going to the flop (the small blind is two-thirds of a bet, subtract a bit for the rake).

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Blind checks, I bet, player to my left calls, blind check-raises, I three-bet, both players just call. 15.5 SB and we see the turn, which is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Blind bets, I fold with the four-straight on the board.

Bad laydown here getting 7.5-1? I should mention that I had seven chips left in front of me, so a call would put me all in; therefore future action was not a concern. Results to follow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa.

I mean, "Whoa!"

Seven chips left?!? Why? Stop or buy more chips. But why are you allowing yourself to get all-in?

Anyhow, I don't like a fold here. The flop c/r could mean any number of things. Maybe he had a pair and an OESD, in which case he now has two pair so you have eight outs on the river. Maybe he thinks you're pushing too hard with AK because you're practically all-in.

At any rate, for seven chips and a free river, I call. No problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Seven chips left?!? Why? Stop or buy more chips. But why are you allowing yourself to get all-in?

Anyhow, I don't like a fold here. The flop c/r could mean any number of things. Maybe he had a pair and an OESD, in which case he now has two pair so you have eight outs on the river. Maybe he thinks you're pushing too hard with AK because you're practically all-in.

At any rate, for seven chips and a free river, I call. No problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that I shouldn't be playing that short, but...I was. Oh well. In any case, my stack is significant in that I get to see the river for free, but should it matter that "I only have seven chips left?" I understand the argument that it should, but isn't that pretty much based on emotion and not solid play?

BTW, this is an easy call for me if it's heads up. I'm actually a lot more worried about the player behind me, who may have very well flopped the straight.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 AM

it's not a bad laydown, but i'd call if i was going to be all in and re-buy anyways. i think it's likely you were up against a pair and an OESD on the flop. I'd call and see a free river, all in.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not a bad laydown, but i'd call if i was going to be all in and re-buy anyways. i think it's likely you were up against a pair and an OESD on the flop. I'd call and see a free river, all in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time analyzing this hand since Ive never been close to all in before, but this quote seems right. I dont play no limit either so i dont even have that "all in" experience.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Hi Ben,

I am going to go against the grain here and agree with your fold. Your description is that he is a solid regular. One of the things that a solid player will notice is the stack that his opponent has, especially right before the hand is dealt. He KNOWS that you're shortstacked and your propensity to call is high, yet he bets into you again after your flop 3-bet, with another opponent lingering. Your chances of being ahead is very slim.

It seems odd to me that others will just call it down, because you're almost all in. Money is still money, regardless of how much you have left. Good fold. If he's betting into you with A7s and folded a better hand, God bless him.

BTW, what the hell are you people doing up at 4 am? Don't you have class or something?!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Ben,

I am going to go against the grain here and agree with your fold. Your description is that he is a solid regular. One of the things that a solid player will notice is the stack that his opponent has, especially right before the hand is dealt. He KNOWS that you're shortstacked and your propensity to call is high, yet he bets into you again after your flop 3-bet, with another opponent lingering. Your chances of being ahead is very slim.

It seems odd to me that others will just call it down, because you're almost all in. Money is still money, regardless of how much you have left. Good fold. If he's betting into you with A7s and folded a better hand, God bless him.

BTW, what the hell are you people doing up at 4 am? Don't you have class or something?!

[/ QUOTE ]
You make some good points in your statement, but the problem is that the bettor could easily have just two pair, he certainly would bet two pair since he knows both his opponents are unlikely to have low cards. If the villain does have two pair then the hero has 8 outs to beat him which is why i dont mind the all in play. If the hero was not at the point of all in then I think the hero should fold since theres still a chance of a raise behind him and he will have to pay off the river every time the board pairs and he will not always win and he may even make a bad river call when the board doesnt pair. Being all in makes things alot easier.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't the proper play for BB be to c/r you and trap the player in between if he has a straight or otherwise strong hand?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM

No, BB is afraid it would get checked around. The board is too scary for those without at least two pairs to bet.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, BB is afraid it would get checked around. The board is too scary for those without at least two pairs to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would think us throwing in our last chips if BB checks is almost a certainty, isn't it?