Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Default A Random Muse

I love it when guys go into check/call mode because there's an overcard out, but all of a sudden find a bet on the river _because well, they don't want to miss a bet?_ But then they get raised and pay it off anyway.

It happens all the time online and that's the ONLY place I ever see it. At least its the only place I see the subsequent payoff religiously. If you're one of these guys who makes this play perhaps you can you explain it?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: A Random Muse

i make 1/2 of the play...usually w/ A weak kicker, check call check call, bet.

but you gotta fold to the raise...w/o some insane read
-Barron
Old 08-08-2005, 09:57 PM

I can see the point with an ace, but sometimes I can't even tell if the guy was trying to bluff. Like 3 bets on a king high flop, check/call the turn, then betting out the river with a pair of nines!? Is he betting to get a call from a worse hand? Or is he bluffing and trying to get QQ,JJ, or TT to fold? Either way... Now he gets raised and he pays it off!? I don't get it.

If this was just a once in a while occurance or even from just one particular player, fine. But I see this 5 times every session (about 1200 hands). Maybe I should be paying more attention in my live games. Maybe it's happening there as well, but I just don't notice it? Of course a variation of this play is:

Betting a scare card on the end (such as a flush str8, or a paired card). Now he's thinking he won't be missing a bet AND has the added protection of the scare card eliminating the chance for getting raised. But I STILL raise (or other do), and they STILL pay off?! Is it just that it's so much harder to fold online?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:06 PM

I see this play a lot. I think people usually make it against players who they think are bad. I've definitely done it against players I know are bad.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just that it's so much harder to fold online?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. and in addition, its just that much easier to raise.

which is how we can accurately describe the move from the avg. B&M player to the Avg. Online player.

-Barron
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 AM

I think it's a form of tilt for tight players.

I've done it more often than I'd like to admit, and I can't remember a time I was glad I called on the end.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:24 AM

There are opponents who on the river, the amount of bets I'd like to put into the pot is:

1 > 2 > 0; ie, I'd rather put in two bets than zero and am willing to risk having to put in two, in order to ensure one gets put in.

Plus, I think like 3-6 months ago there was a HUGE insurge of people from these forums who endorsed the "bet/fold" line on the river, and I think the "bet/call" effectively combats people who are expecting/hoping to catch me in a "bet/fold" mode... Especially on scary river cards and ace high boards.

There are a lot of people who the river bet/call is optimal against.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:17 PM

A random muse: