Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: ATo is making me sick.

I've done something a couple times with hands that were giving me trouble. For a few sessions, just don't play it, period. Then for a few sessions, don't play it unless the situation demands it.

It helps you focus on what the right situations are for the hand rather than just playing the hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done something a couple times with hands that were giving me trouble. For a few sessions, just don't play it, period. Then for a few sessions, don't play it unless the situation demands it.

It helps you focus on what the right situations are for the hand rather than just playing the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. You may or may not be costing yourself some short-term profit, but the long-term bonus to your EV could be well worth it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Open in any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is extremely bad advice.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. You may or may not be costing yourself some short-term profit, but the long-term bonus to your EV could be well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably are costing yourself some short-term profit as compared to optimal play but you aren't playing these hands optimally so what you are really doing is preventing some short-term losses while you refocus.

I did this with AJ and small pocket pairs. I think it worked very well.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 PM

I've been money loser with AA my last 4000 hands...ok I will no longer play them.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM

If you get action with AT/AJ offsuit, the best you're doing is coinflipping, and you're typically dominated.

That's why you're losing so much with it.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been money loser with AA my last 4000 hands...ok I will no longer play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now, if you're going to take things to extremes...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get action with AT/AJ offsuit, the best you're doing is coinflipping, and you're typically dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point of clarification: I often see hands like AT/AJ get plenty of action from hands like...oh, A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2, J5 (with middle pair) etc. etc. I'm not talking about a 3-6 game, either; this is commonplace at my local 15 and 20 B&M games. Are you guys playing a completely different game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that AT or AJ are great hands, as they're clearly mediocre, but in my experience your kicker is going to be good more often than not.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point of clarification: I often see hands like AT/AJ get plenty of action from hands like...oh, A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2, J5 (with middle pair) etc. etc. I'm not talking about a 3-6 game, either; this is commonplace at my local 15 and 20 B&M games. Are you guys playing a completely different game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that AT or AJ are great hands, as they're clearly mediocre, but in my experience your kicker is going to be good more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I said that opening with ATo UTG is wrong except in weak games. Unless you are in a steal situation the usefulness of ATo pretty much boils down to how bad your opponents are.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Small stakes Hold \'em

Got the Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth book. Readin it like I'm on my death bed.

To paraphrase the book. ATo is easily dominated against tight players. Go ahead and play in loose situations, particlarly late position against a few loose limpers. Raise to steal the blinds.

My biggest mistake? NEVER COLD CALL. I can guarantee that is how my ATo got into the red. It probaly killed a lot profit on other hands too such as A10s, KQ, even AQ and AJs.

After just a few tweaks to my game, Examples: Stop the cold calling with my Top Pairs. Clearer application of Pot odds, and Pot equity, and even adding a few Speculative hands cheaply in late poition, I've seen results.

Even if I'm just on a up-swing, I've padded my bankroll enough on the last 1000 hands to dabble up a notch in stakes, and avoid potential stress on a downturn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't suggest this book to anybody that's going to play me in a small stakes game.