Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: 20/40

"I think the hallmark of a great player is when they can push a player off a nice pot with nothing. Thats the player I want to be."

"if this hand didn't work out, I was still going to resort in using it as an image tactic"

You have to make up your mind...these are incongruent statements.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I think the hallmark of a great player is when they can push a player off a nice pot with nothing. Thats the player I want to be."

"if this hand didn't work out, I was still going to resort in using it as an image tactic"

You have to make up your mind...these are incongruent statements.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they aren't. Read it again.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi - I read everything again, and I still don't understand. It is very true that a solid player earns himself the right to pick up a pot every now and then. But cold calling a raise with a bad hand out of position is the wrong way to cash in on your image. If you fold for another hour, your future bluffs will have that much greater chance for success.

Also, when you call the flop with the intention of bluff-raising the turn, you need a *lot* of things going your way in limit poker. That move is better suited to deep-stack NL. When you raise the turn, what hand are you representing? An 8? So MP is to believe that a very tight player coldcalled a raise out of position with a single 8? I would guess that 95% of opponents holding a Jack will call you down, and/or a pocket pair in that vicinity. He could have AA/KK, as he has bet or raised at every opportunity. Even if your play worked (and since you posted it, perhaps it did), you have used up some of your hard-earned bluff potential.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Not to answer for Clark, but there's no good reason on earth to call preflop. Period.

As for the turn check-raise, this has to be in your arsenal, obviously, but this doesn't look like an ideal moment.

Perhaps "any card under queen which does not match anything on the board" might have been a little better?

Hope it worked out anyway.

Note: Edited for grammar and spiritual reconfiguration. Ok, grammar.