Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 11:30 PM

Default you can never be too careful

Full $20-40 at FW. Two players limped and I raised from the hijack seat with KQ. The cutoff called, the button called, both blinds folded, and the limpers called. Fiveway pot with me third.

The flop was K-6-6 rainbow. The limpers checked, I checked, the cutoff checked, the button bet, both limpers folded, I called, and the cutoff called. Three players now with me first.

The turn was a king. I checked, the cutoff checked, the button bet, I called, and the cutoff folded. Headsup now. I planned to bet the river unless a six came.

The river was a six. Final board: K-6-6,K,6. I checked, the button bet, and I called. He rolled 7-7.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: you can never be too careful

I like it.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 PM

You left the moaning and groaning after you tabled KQ. Don't leave out very important parts like that. :P
Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 PM

"I planned to bet the river unless a six came.'

why? i think youll make more by checkraising the river.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:36 AM

How is this anything close to an appropriate line?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It appropriately adds a little "huh?" to the other players game when playing Tommy in future hands. Just for that occasional confusion.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:06 AM

He's either way ahead or way behind, couldn't possibly get a better hand to fold, and there are no draws on the board. And he gets to smooth roll the "monster", which really isn't a monster if you think about it, but the opponents probably don't. Nothing wrong with kicking the button in the groin early in the session.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:23 AM

Of course you can be too careful. What a silly expression that is.

I'm trying to decide, in between smiles, if I like your K-6-6,K,6 way of keeping the flop cards clear from the other streets (as opposed to K-6-6-K-6), or if I'd prefer K,6,6-K-6.

As for the hand, your play could be terrific or horrific, depending on how the button plays.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's either way ahead or way behind

[/ QUOTE ]

He's either tied or way ahead. If you can put the button on 6x here, you are seeing way too many big ugly monsters under the bed. I'm not sure which is better between betting out or going for a check-raise on the river, but check-call is the second best option just slightly above check fold.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a high limit guy, but I read posts in this part of the forum often, especially Tommy's posts. This Tommy post is just another in a long line where I'm starting to notice some trends:

- I read the post and immediately think about how poor/strange the line looks.
- Yet when I think about what my line would be, or my response, if I was to reply, I always have a hard time coming up with something that would make more money against a semi-thinking opponent.
- He doesn't always include reads, but you know he has them, and is leaving them out for a reason. In this case, if his read is that the button will fold to a turn check-raise, then his line was optimal, right? These hands aren't the same as if it was against Party 15/30 players from what I gather.
- He buys a boatload of free showdowns.
- Players have to be worried when he check/calls uncoordinated boards. And what are they going to think when he raises?

Mostly, these hands make me think, and I like that. They aren't always the line that I would take at first glance, but hey, he's playing for a living and I'm not, so I recognize there's a reason he's posting something like this, and I can probably learn something if I keep my mind open. (not a slam against SoBeDude personally, but more of a general response regarding Tommy posts.)