Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:21 AM

Default Re: CO w/AK

well the way the hand played out, one can assume that tommy doesn't want to lose his foes by raising. i.e. 3-betting preflop will take it down on the flop, betting/raising the flop might not collect any bets on the turn. raising the turn might get his opponents to fold there or check/fold the river and he doesn't want to get 3-bet by an 8. however once its on the river, and he did extract that river bet i don't see how tommy doesn't raise here. i assume he can use his expert hand reading skills to fold to a 3-bet if faced with one, and it's likely that he won't get 3-bet anyways.

it seems to me that not raising this river can only be correct is if worse hands will not call and only better hands will 3-bet, but i doubt that would be the case here.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:21 AM

I am having a difficult time understanding why you don't raise post flop somewhere in this hand. Do you think that the BB has an 8? It seems to me that he could be betting anything after the check around on the flop, and the PFR can't have much. I like the turn call, but I would have a very difficult time not raising the river here in the games that I play in regulary. I guess it would be player dependant, in my game A5 would certainly call a river raise
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 AM

seems fair...

rock on cdc
Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 AM

big blind played it pretty well
Old 11-24-2004, 02:44 AM

Tommy, this hand reminds me of The Rain Song. It's by one of your favorites but, no matter how much you really want to love it, you can't.

Considering how few and far between the winning hands come, can going along for the ride really be that profitable?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:29 AM

Oh man, Tommy. At least raise the river.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:29 AM

If you know your going to flop an ace or king (which of course you don't) then just cold calling the raise is a reasonable play - you might as well start your slowplay early. But your usually not going to flop as well as a pair. That's why three betting is the play BTF that gives you the best shot at taking control of the hand and maximizing your EV.

Given your BTF call, checking thru the flop seems to fit in but it is a crime against humanity/reason/society/your bankroll (pick one) not to raise at some point later in the hand.

Tommy, you sure are throwing a lot of off speed stuff lately. Have you lost your fastball? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 11-24-2004, 03:57 AM

Goddamn that is beautiful. I have tears running down my cheek.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your BTF call, checking thru the flop seems to fit in but it is a crime against humanity/reason/society/your bankroll (pick one) not to raise at some point later in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't this be considered a variation of the check your pocket aces on the turn play when the flop paired to either catch up or induce a bluff on the river? I could be wrong, but if you use this play I don't think its correct to check the turn (fearing a check raise) then raise the river unimproved.

From the flop on I love the play, very imaginative flop check (I'm gonna try to squeeze this into my play book), made Tommy lots of extra money (and if he had been behind it would have saved himself half a bet).
Old 11-24-2004, 05:58 AM

I knew that Sklansky had no idea how to play poker. Raise with A,K huh! You tell 'em Tommy!

Vince