Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Folded to the button who limps...

This seems to be something I'm seeing more and more often in the 2/4 game on party, I would post it anywhere else but i'm certain it's been done before and I just can't find the thread.

Anyway, you're in the sb or bb and it's folded to the button who limps, assume that if you raise the button will almost never fold, and that if the sb has completed he will also very rarely fold. What range of hands should we be raising with here out of the sb? bb? Any links to existing threads would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Folded to the button who limps...

I try to never call at the Button if it is folded to me. It seems like stupid play if you ask me. Better to try to steel then. Those who do that are often not very good. If someone do that and SB fold then I raise with ok-good hands witch I assume is better than the buttoms hand.

If I have a shity hand then I check. If the SB compleate then I only raise with good hands.

At the flop do I most of the time raise even if I do not hit, if I do not have reads on the player that tells me to do something else. Since they do not have any good hand very often, and I raised so they think I have a good hand, then they most of the time fold if they do not hit. And the flop wont hit there hand more than 50%.

If I checked with a crap hand then they fold to my flopraise because the pot is small, if they do not hit.

I am not sure this is the best play but it has worked for me. Hope this help.

Have fun!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, you're in the sb or bb and it's folded to the button who limps, assume that if you raise the button will almost never fold, and that if the sb has completed he will also very rarely fold. What range of hands should we be raising with here out of the sb? bb? Any links to existing threads would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm the SB, I assume the BB, at the Party 2/4, will call a raise at least 75% of the time. This is too bad since I really want to isolate that weak, weak button play. I'd raise with any ace, any decent pair (say 55 and above), KQ/KJ. Since I'm going to be acting first, I want hands with which I can establish where I'm at. At the 2/4, I'd probably limp with almost anything else and hope to hit the flop since it's only 1/2 a bet. If the BB is likely to raise if I just complete, I'd fold the rest.

If I'm the BB and the SB folds, I'm raising with almost any hand.

If I'm the BB and the SB just completes, I'd probably raise the same hands I'd raise from the SB with. The situation hasn't changed all that much. Anything else, I think a check is in order to try to hit the flop. I don't think you'll make a lot of money off this hand even if you hit with such passive opponents.

If I'm the BB and the SB raises, I'm going to put him on an isolation play and assume he may be raising with a mediocre hand. I'd therefore reraise him with a hand I thought was better than mediocre. Possibly one of those hands I said I'd raise with from the SB. Even at the Party 2/4, I think it's possible to get the limping button to fold to a three bet.

Of course, this all assumes I have no reads or stats on these players.

Regards,

T

BTW, this is not a simple play, and my line may easily be incorrect.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm the BB and the SB folds, I'm raising with almost any hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this line a lot against most guys at 2/4, but I've seen a number of very loose post flop players who will literally call your followup flop bet with any two, putting you in a tough spot and out of position on the turn and river. I think it might be better to check pf with the bottom half of hands and then value bet to death off a favorable flop against guys like this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm the BB and the SB raises, I'm going to put him on an isolation play and assume he may be raising with a mediocre hand. I'd therefore reraise him with a hand I thought was better than mediocre. Possibly one of those hands I said I'd raise with from the SB. Even at the Party 2/4, I think it's possible to get the limping button to fold to a three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what range of hands you'd put a raising sb on in this spot, but I'm not three betting with less than 88, AT, and KJ. I find most guys are pretty straightforward pf in this game, and I doubt I'm getting much looser until the sb shows down some junk. Think that's too tight?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what range of hands you'd put a raising sb on in this spot, but I'm not three betting with less than 88, AT, and KJ. I find most guys are pretty straightforward pf in this game, and I doubt I'm getting much looser until the sb shows down some junk. Think that's too tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think you're probably correct. This could be leak for me, fortunately it doesn't come up much. I play mostly 2/4 at Party, and I'm very rarely in this spot.

I think it's very hard to put the SB on a hand here, which is why I want to raise him - if I'm going to play. If I raise, I have a pretty decent chance of that weakie button folding and giving me better position.

That's what I was thinking, at least. I could be overly aggressive here very easily.

Regards,

T