Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 05:30 AM

Default Error Prone

In chess, there is an idea that a weakness is only a weakness if the opposition can exploit it.

I have noticed some leaks in my poker and yet despite them I win money. I will correct them and obviously I have not won as much money as I could have because of these leaks but they have not done my bankroll any real harm. For example, I play in a microlimits stud game and will play most straights and flushes until fifth where I hope to have a fourstraight or fourflush, and if I do find myself with a drawing hand I stay until the river. 7CSFAP does not have you dropping every three straight or three flush that does not become a fourstraight or fourflush on fourth but still I play a little looser than they say.

The question I am asking of you all is what leaks can a relatively good player live with. I do not want anybody to say none as no one plays mistake-free poker.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Error Prone

In real stud these hands aren't worth much since you are usually heads-up against someone betting a better hand: lets not pay the max for the minimum return. In low-limit stud you often find yourself in multi-way pots featuring frequent free cards later. That's a gold mine for long shot hands: pay little to get there and get a lot when you do.

So in this case your "leak" is to your advantage. It will become your disadvantage when playing against folks that know what's going on.

As for your first statement: No. You can have plenty of leaks that cost money when the opponents don't know about the leak and therefore do not "take advantage" of it (such as playing far too many hands). And Yes. There are plenty of "peculiaralities" that are only "leaks" when actually exploited (such as tells).

I think the answer to your question is this: I don't think you should be looking for a leak-tolerant equalibrium life style. Its better to live with a life style that is always looking for and mending the leaks. The mending part is good, but more important it creates a more favorable attitude for playing.

- Louie
Old 06-11-2004, 07:18 PM

I agree, everyone makes mistakes. But why not try to plug the leak? I think that the most successful players are the one who makes the least mistakes.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:55 PM

IMO, the only leak a good player can't afford, are the one's he doesn't know about. A good player will plug the leaks he is aware of, so they won't be a problem.