Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Default STTs and chat

Maybe this should be a poll, but...

I play on Party, mostly 10+1 SnG.

It seems to me that chatting has become less courteous lately and more antagonistic. Is it just me?

I routinely turn off “viewer” chat, but I usually leave the player chat enabled. I usually just say stuff like “nice hand” or “good one” – I rarely take part in the dialog that sometimes takes place, but it doesn’t really bother me. Actually, I figure that the active chatters are less focused on the action, so may be a bit weaker.

What do you folks do?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: STTs and chat

Chatting? Antagonistic? I haven't noticed.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:13 PM

usually just say nh or gg, but if they start getting worked up, I'll see if I can continue to egg them on - take them out of their game.

After they've been eliminated, no more chatting with them.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:24 PM

I think one of the best things for my game happened when someone called me an idiot and they were right.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:25 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM

I make a point to compliment someones hand ("nh" or "gh") ONLY if they played it well. I could care less if they end up with a single pair, or a str8 flush.

I hate when the barrage of gh, gh, nh, nice one, etc come flying out of the chat window every time someone makes like an underboat using one of their holecards.

You know what i mean?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a point to compliment someones hand ("nh" or "gh") ONLY if they played it well. I could care less if they end up with a single pair, or a str8 flush.

I hate when the barrage of gh, gh, nh, nice one, etc come flying out of the chat window every time someone makes like an underboat using one of their holecards.

You know what i mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite is all the gh/nh comments that come out when AA calls someone else's all-in preflop. As if that was difficult or impressive in some way. Having good gards does not necessarily make for a nice hand...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chatting? Antagonistic? I haven't noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, people are pretty calm and friendly in the 215s. I imagine the Steps are the same way. I especially like my friends OrangeGutan, raisinray38, Babisabe (sp?), and a few others. They're there just to have fun, not put anyone down. But I'm digressing.

My "self-tilt test" is whether I type in "lol" or "nh" or some other smart-ass comment after taking a beat. I only do it a couple of times a month, but when I do I'm steaming pretty good.

Other than that, poker is supposed to be fun, so if you have some reason to crack a joke in chat or have a little camraderie with one your foes (whether a good player or total fish), why not? Life's too short to be dead serious all the time (was that sort of a pun?).
Old 01-27-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh - I like to say nh MORE, when they have played poorly, but got lucky.

There is a slight chance they actually believe they made a good play, and will do it again. Advantage me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 PM

I seem to be unable to chat at all on party.
I type in the box but nothing comes out.
Have I ignored myself somehow? Have I be chat-banned? (although I can't imagine why I would be.)