Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Curious how others would play this hand...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

UTG ($$41.50)
UTG+1 ($$21.95)
MP1 ($$143.25)
MP2 ($$58.15)
Hero ($$97.55)
Button ($$106.25)
SB ($$90.50)
BB ($$43.05)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $3, Button folds, SB folds, BB raises to $5, UTG calls $4, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($17) 5, Q, 3 (3 players)
BB bets $4, UTG folds, Hero raises to $8, BB calls $4.

Turn: ($33) T (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $8, BB calls $8.

River: ($49) 7 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $23, BB folds.

Final Pot: $72

Would you have played the hand similar? Any differences you would have made in the way it was played?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Curious how others would play this hand...

I will assume suits don't matter, since I don't see them in the post. I would've raised more preflop OR limped, I would've put in a reraise when BB raised.

I make a pot size raise on the flop and I'm all in on the turn.

But that's me, and I like to bet their aces for them.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 AM

I agree with acesover8s. I'm raising more preflop, I'm definitely reraising the BB's reraise (both pot sized raises), and I'm betting the pot on the flop. All in by the turn.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:47 AM

I agree as well. I think you re-raise preflop moderately, hoping you get a single caller.

My guess is that he is holding AK, AQ (though most players at this level won't lay down AQ here), KJ (doubtful since he re-raised preflop), JJ, or maybe 99.

I also would have made the turn bet more expensive, he may be on straight draw or looking for a card to make his set... I'd put in at least half the pot, probably more if I think he's a fish/chaser.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] jslag [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 AM

Considered re-raising the flop re-raise myself. I didn't for a few reasons:

1. Crazy people at that limit who push all-in like its Aces if they get re-raised.

2. AA. Thought the hand was a possibility and if he did have AA #1 could happen. If he had AA and I just called I believed I would be able to figure out by what happened on the flop if he had the AA or not. I was able to figure this out, because on the flop I raised his bet and he just called and played passive the rest of the way.

3. I thought I might maximize my profits more if I just called rather than show him how strong I thought my hand was pre-flop.

Do you think my reasoning was justified?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:43 PM

I don't like the reasoning...sorry.

1. crazy people....don't you want to get in preflop with kings against crazy people?

2. afraid of AA...were you going to lay down to a flop reraise? How often will he have AA and QQ versus AQ. If you can lay down an overpair to this particular player, then a preflop call is ok, but if you're going to try to get it in with an overpair on the flop, then you should reraise preflop. If he has QQ or JJ and the flop is all low cards, you want a bigger pot size so they'll give you the rest of their stack.

3. Not too many people laydown their hands preflop when they have reraised you...especially crazy people [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]