Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Final Table problem

Anyone can help me with this problem. I find myself in a situation like this quite often. Itīs deep in a tourney, blinds are high and the players are aggressive. In the given example Heroīs in the SB, Villain in the BB. Hero moved all in being the SB twice before on the final table (when nobody had entered the pot) and BB folded. Twice Hero only called the BB (when everybody else folded) and Villain moved all in. Everytime Villain had less chips than Hero.

Now the problem is: Blinds are high, one round costs 7k. Everybody folded, Hero has K high. If he calles, chances are that Villain moves all in with any 2. If he raises small it might be the same. If he raises like 4x the BB Heroīs pot commited if Villain moves all in (due to the huge pot odds) and Villain is pot commited if he only calls preflop and Hero moves in on the flop. If Hero raises all in and gets called, he wonīt be a favourite too often. Mucking seems weak with an better than average hand. So whatīs the proper play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (5 handed) converter

Hero (t104193)
Villain (t45034)
UTG (t116106)
MP (t145258)
Button (t54909)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t68000</font>, (Villain)/ calls t40834 (All-In).

Flop: (t109634) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t109634) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t109634) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t109634
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Final Table problem

I push here because he will probably fold many hands that you are behind including Ax just because he may want to try to let the other short person with 58k go out to move up the pay ladder. I like the push here.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM

K high his fine for the push here given the relative stack sizes and final table variables.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-09-2005, 02:32 PM

This push is basically EV neutral according to the Sklansky-Karlson rankings *IF* I understand how to use them properly (so use this at your own risk).

So, you played it right: push when you are going to river trips, otherwise fold. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Later,
Che