Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM

Default 2/4 Top two pair

I tried to post an observed hand some days ago and didnt get many responses... this is a hand I played myself. MP is solid, I haven't seen him do anything crazy.
He miniraised me with a player sitting behind him. What am I ahead of here? What should I do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($390)
UTG+1 ($236.5)
MP1 ($639)
MP2 ($328)
MP3 ($578)
CO ($379.2)
Button ($240.4)
SB ($396)
Hero ($559.8)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $4, CO calls $4, Button calls $4, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($20) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, MP3 calls $16, CO calls $16, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($68) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $110</font>, CO folds, Hero??
Old 05-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Top two pair

Villain's open limp is bad IMO. Hands that jump out at me as possible are 66, KK, T9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with the suited connectors more possible.

A reraise pot commits us, but I'm not sure we're ahead.

Situations like this give me fits, because I weigh the aggression I want to show against the possibility of pushing a 4 outer as my time ticks down, and by then often give my opponent info about MY hand (I should randomize this more).

I think I call on the turn and then decide on the river.

Sounds like a horrible line tho, and seems so weak tight.

I am honestly perplexed here. Okay, I'm calling down all bets, but I hate my line.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM

You're giving MP3 KK? Why would MP3 limp pre flop / on the flop with a two potential draws on the board? If he has a King, it's KJ or KQ. If he's betting a gut shot straight draw, then Merry Christmas because he hit it. The only way I buy 10 9 here is they're both diamonds. Otherwise, I think top two is good. The guy could be raising with Ad6d or Ad7d and be raising with a piece and draw. Or, he puts you on a drawing/weak hand and thinking he can muscle you out. Afterall, would you assume that the BB has a strong hand on that flop? You could be beat, but I still thinking your calling down all bets.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM

Small point but T9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is getting over 34 to 1 on its flop call for a 14.3 to 1 draw to the nuts, so I think it's worth considering.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Muscling him out with a min raise? Imo this bet is a pure value bet on the villains part. The only question is what percentage of the time the villain takes this line with ak or 76d which are the only two value hands you beat. The turn is a tough position because the flop bet was so small that it gave odds to the gutshot. Bet double the pot next time on the flop and I think this hand becomes easier to play. (You'll be suprised how many people will call). My line is call the raise and lead out for a 2/3 pot blocking bet on the river if you get raised fold and if you're feeling a little frisky if a diamond falls bet the full pot and hope the villain folds the better hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Oh yeah and if you fill up push.