Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Overplayed Aces?

I usually play 1/2 nl but I have been running incredibly well lately so I decided to give 3/6 a shot. This is my first time to play at this game so I don't think villian has ever seen me play and I've never seen him play. I played 1 orbit before this hand. The hand before I folded what turned out to be the nuts in a 1200 dollar pot and menioned something about it right before I see my red aces...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 ($1642.65)
MP1 ($684.8)
MP2 ($1245.9)
MP3 ($1912.16)
CO ($705.45)
Button ($453.51)
Hero ($594)
BB ($602)
UTG ($465.5)
UTG+1 ($512.4)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $23.

Flop: ($76) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $559 (All-In)</font>, MP3 calls $409.

Turn: ($1194) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($1194) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1194

Good agressive play or severe oveplay?

Do I still belong at the 1/2 level?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Overplayed Aces?

If I was villian, there aren't that many hands I would call with that you beat. The one possibility is AK. I wouldn't call with a draw or KQ, KJ or A10. After that, it's two pair/set combinations where you're a dog. My question is: why did you go all in? Did you believe you were ahead and wanted to take the pot down at that moment? Did you put villian on AK and thought he'd call? Where you worried about the draw? If it's any of the three, your all in is reasonable although some would prefer to maximize value. I tend to err on the side of caution with AA since overpair is a sucker hand in a lot of scenarios. Which gets back to my question. Why did you go all in? If you were trying to guage your opponent's strength, going all in is a kamikaze way of finding out. Also, were affected by the previous hand/a little trigger happy?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:56 PM

I went all in because I thought I was ahead. Also, I might be a little freaked out about the money at stake. In the 1/2 game I haven't lost a buy in in about 5k hands so I think I was playing with scared money.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:27 PM

Lead out on the flop - is there any reason not to? He knows you have at least a pair of kings so hands you beat will check behind. Your check is fooling nobody, and just giving him a free card to beat you if he needs it. Given that you checked, and he overbet the pot(!) in a situation where you've obviously got a big hand, you can fold.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM

did you get crushed by a set of 8s or did you stack him w/ ak?

You can't just call his bet of 150, cause you are pot comitted after that, so I like your all-in if you think you are ahead. But if he's a good player, he's got a set of 8s and is firing out an overbet to get you committed.

I'd probably take a different line here. Most likely fire out a potsized bet and see what he does. Course then you're going to have to decided what to do if he raises you...AK would probably just call, but anything stronger most likely raises.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM

your reraise preflop is absolutely terrible imho

raise a LOT more or simply call (i rarely ever just call)

you completely give away your hand and the flop check after doing so is ridiculous.

then you proceed to put your money in when you will only be called by a much better hand.

i know this is rough to take but it was misplayed at every stage of the hand. you need to be careful about not giving away too much information against better opponents.

try the 400NL for awhile id advise.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM

There aren't many hands villian would call your all in with besides a set. This is because you gave away your hand after you check raised all in. However, it may be possible villian will pay you off with AK, depending on the player.If you checked the flop and believe he has a K or QJ, a draw, you should just raise in my opinion, instead of pushing without any further information cause either ahead or far behind. Depending on what he does to your flop raise, you can decide your action on the turn. However, given your stack, a good raise wouldn't leave you with much to push on the turn. But in the end, you got all your money in with a call, which was probably what you wanted, so well played.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:48 PM

CALL DOWN WHY ARE YOU RAISING

&lt;&lt;DRUNK&gt;&gt;
Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Im not saying he played it correctly, but I think hes ahead when he went all in.

Why would villain bet $150 into a $75 pot after getting checked to if he had AA beat?

It looks to me like villain wants to take it down w/o a fight with something like JJ or QQ.

If you think youre ahead, you cant just call. The pots going to be big enough to push it in at the turn anyway.

This whole "he'll only call with a better hand" thing doesnt make sense to me.

Villian already paid $150. If you think youre ahead, why just call and let him see another card for free (since he already paid the $150). I say raise and make him pay to see another card.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. I lost almost 4 buyins 3/6 and my biggest loss in the 1/2 game in the past 2 weeks has been 1 1/5 buyins. I will never play over my BR again!