FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: J9s
Openraise 4 9.09%
Fold 40 90.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Your Favorite Bush family member

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that once your an Alcholic, you never stop being one?

Alcholism is for life.

You didnt want to have a beer with Ted, so I didn't mention him.

[/ QUOTE ]

One has to be careful about stating that "alcoholism is for life". This falls in the area of science where proof of such assertions are impossible. So it is really just a theory, and in a Political Correct society a lot of theories are declared as facts without any real evidence.

Alcoholism and homosexuality both fall into this grey zone. Everyone thinks they know the truth, but no really can know for sure given the evidence available.

Twelve step programs promote the lifetime addiction stance, but it is still just a theory.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I guess Bush is then considered an alcoholic for life, but he is no longer consuming alcohol, period. He's supposedly been dry since 1986, but in reality I think it's more like 1994, since I saw a video of him drunk in the early 90s. The point is that most people have said that Bush hasn't had a drink in 10 years.

Forgive the beer comment.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think Bush would be a cooler guy to hang out with than Kerry, because he seems like more of a regular guy.

I can't relate to windsurfing or skiing at Vail, but I can relate to going fishing or cutting weeds.

Bush may be rich, but he doesn't flaunt it and he likes doing things that "regular" guys like to do, and I like that.

I think I would also like to hang out with a guy like Edwards, even though I'm not a big trial lawyer fan.

Still didn't vote for him though because of Iraq, and because I think his social policies could use a little work. I agree with him on economic policies, however.

Know what I'm sayin'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I guess you missed I was just taking a stab at you, nothing serious. I understood what you meant, my attempt at comedy failed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I agree Bush is more of a 'common'[whatever this may be] man, but I find people[no necessarily you] who use this attribute as criteria for being President of the United States rather ridiculous. I want someone exceptional.

Anyway I voted for Barney.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Well I didn't use it as a criteria for voting for him, because... I didn't vote for him. Haha.

I'm just saying that my vote for Kerry was more a vote against some of Bush's policies than a vote for Kerry, because, honestly, Kerry was a terrible candidate.

He was a flip-flopping elitist who had no core. But he was still better.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I didn't use it as a criteria for voting for him, because... I didn't vote for him. Haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sorry I didn't necessarily mean you.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One has to be careful about stating that "alcoholism is for life". This falls in the area of science where proof of such assertions are impossible. So it is really just a theory, and in a Political Correct society a lot of theories are declared as facts without any real evidence.

Alcoholism and homosexuality both fall into this grey zone. Everyone thinks they know the truth, but no really can know for sure given the evidence available.

Twelve step programs promote the lifetime addiction stance, but it is still just a theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the [censored]/alcoholic analogy since we're not talking about addiction with the former, but I think it's pretty widely believed that alcohol addition is a lifetime addiction. Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you're no longer an alcoholic. That's why alcoholics quit drinking entirely rather than just cut back. And why they refer to themselves as "recovering" alcoholics, but not "recovered". Either way, no skin off my nose though, and I don't know why "we have to be careful" about it. i'll state it to anyone. What does it matter?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the [censored]/alcoholic analogy since we're not talking about addiction with the former,

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't believe it censored h[/b]omo. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that once your an Alcholic, you never stop being one?

Alcholism is for life.

You didnt want to have a beer with Ted, so I didn't mention him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying Alcholism just dissapears, contrary to years of scientific research?

I think you are making a faith based assertion there.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:27 PM

Is that kind of like a faith based initiative?

Go Jesus, go Jesus, go Jesus.

Sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't see the [censored]/alcoholic analogy since we're not talking about addiction with the former, but I think it's pretty widely believed that alcohol addition is a lifetime addiction. Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you're no longer an alcoholic. That's why alcoholics quit drinking entirely rather than just cut back. And why they refer to themselves as "recovering" alcoholics, but not "recovered". Either way, no skin off my nose though, and I don't know why "we have to be careful" about it. i'll state it to anyone. What does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.
Whereas Alcholism can be beaten through sheer willpower and determintation, no amount of willpower will make a homosexual find women attractive. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you are saying Alcholism just dissapears, contrary to years of scientific research?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the concept of curing a disease is not in your book?

Years of research have not proved a lifetime linkage.