Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Can you say \"Big Pot\"?

I'm not posting this just to brag about winning a huge pot. I really want to know what you think of my play here.

Basically all the players at this table were loose-aggressive with a couple of maniacs and a dash of calling station.

Party Poker 15/30 - 10 handed

I have J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP3.

UTG Limps, UTG+1 limps (I have him pegged as a maniac), MP1 limps, 1 fold, I raise, 1 fold, CO 3-bets, button calls 3 cold, SB calls (calling station), Button calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 caps, everyone calls.

8 players to the flop for 4 bets each (32 sb)

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 (maniac) who bets, MP1 calls, I raise, CO calls, button folds, SB calls (calling station), UTG folds, UTG+1 3-bets, everyone calls

5 players to the flop. Pot is 23.5 BB.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 calls, I raise, SB calls 2 cold, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

4 players to the river. Pot is 31.5 BB.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (thank you poker gods)

checked to me, I bet, SB and UTG+1 call.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Can you say \"Big Pot\"?

I think you played it pretty poorly. The CO three-bet you before the flop, and the button cold called the three. You gotta figure the CO at least has a pretty strong hand, likely better than your jacks. Now when he cold-calls your flop raise, that should have been a signal to you that he probably has an overpair. I'm not sure why his three-bet and then cold-call didn't slow you down at all. Nice raise on the turn when the board paired, apparently raising for value with the third nut flush draw

Bottom line, you grossly overplayed your hand, and in all likelihood sucked out big time. On the off chance you were actually ahead, don't let that reinforce your play here - the vast majority of the time you're gonna be a big dog.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Well, your description of the table was accurate. Especially the part about a couple of maniacs (UTG+1 and MP3, right?)
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it pretty poorly. The CO three-bet you before the flop, and the button cold called the three. You gotta figure the CO at least has a pretty strong hand, likely better than your jacks. Now when he cold-calls your flop raise, that should have been a signal to you that he probably has an overpair. I'm not sure why his three-bet and then cold-call didn't slow you down at all. Nice raise on the turn when the board paired, apparently raising for value with the third nut flush draw

Bottom line, you grossly overplayed your hand, and in all likelihood sucked out big time. On the off chance you were actually ahead, don't let that reinforce your play here - the vast majority of the time you're gonna be a big dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this hand happened in the Party 15 game...
Old 11-20-2004, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, your description of the table was accurate. Especially the part about a couple of maniacs (UTG+1 and MP3, right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about the joke I was going to make but this guy made it way before me. Kudos.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-21-2004, 12:01 AM

No need to raise the turn here. It doesn't accomplish anything expect losing you money. Just call and pray a J or diamond that gives you the winner comes on the river. If some type of rag comes and it's two or more bets to you then fold, if it's just one bet then call.

-Ezcheeze
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 AM

Always so delightful and friendly in this here forums?

Let's acknowledge that this was played poorly, that there is little if anything to "trump" about the play, but why beat a man when he's down?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:32 AM

This advice is truly terrible. Depending on how you'd have played the future streets, there is either some seriously weak tight or a formula for calling station in here somewhere.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:39 AM

Nice River.

This pot is ridiculous sized on every street and you should be trying to knock out players, especially players behind your to increase your odds of winning it. Although you may want to try to keep some of them in when you're going to spike a set on the river.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:13 AM

I do not understand that answer.

It is almost certain that he can only win by improving. What hands do he want to knock out ?

Kim