Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: AK = Annoying Kards

[ QUOTE ]
this thread makes me laugh, time to dig up some of pineapples old posts and see what other gems there are

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer looking at your posts as you never post any strategy and just stop in threads for useless 1-liners.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK ain't one of them? You never just call a raise with AK when you have position?

[/ QUOTE ]

What position? From the SB. I play tables where the SB is the first to play after the flop. Don't know about yours. Must be a home game.

I gave my logic. If you find fault with it, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I'm happy to see a flop in this situation, given the reasons I stated. If the caller is calling just because he has position and 70BB, then I'd prefer to stick around a little longer. He's got a lot of chips that I can get in a better spot. A 4X BB usually means something in these. I've played a few of them, enough to have seen it. I've also been hooked by AA flat calling a big raise, and I've said goodnight with AK vs. 44.

I really think I'm fine with playing it this way. But then, I feel better about my post-flop play than many do here, so that certainly may make a difference.

I hope you will allow different ways to play here. Sometimes with responses like this, one wonders.

Oh, since you didn't ask but implied that I'm "people" in the tone of voice that implies fish, I'm NOT assuming there is a monster lurking, but you must admit it's certainly within the range of hands. Or are you just pushing because that's your complete strategy? (That's a question, not a statement.)

CJ
Old 10-28-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK ain't one of them? You never just call a raise with AK when you have position? Why do always people assume villains flat calling have monsters? The caller knows he has position and a 70+ BB stack, he can make this call with a lot of hands. Hoping to take the pot away with position. Flat calling usually means just that, a calling hand. Not a reraising hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreeed...he could easily have a hand like 10-Js....this late in a tourney, I don't want to see a flop with a vulnerable hand. I push, although I can certainly understand calling.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, back to the hand....

You can't fold AK here. You're ahead too often and can outflop a lot of TTish hands that you could be up against. Reraising here less than all in is bad since you have to call a push or are left to play a flop out of position that you miss 2/3 of the time with half your stack in the pot. So push and call are your options.

You have too many chips to push. The pot is 5500, you have 20k. Such a big overbet will fold out EVERY hand that you want action from. You will get calls from at worst TT/JJ (maybe 99) and will never fold out QQ+. You put your whole stack at risk for 5k. I almost prefer to squeeze-bluff here than push my AK (since it kills a lot of AK's value).

So I just call, and calmly exit the hand if I airball the flop. If I hit, I can play some poker and continue with a much stronger hand. This way you don't put your whole stack at risk for a nonvital increase in stack size, you can get away almost unscathed when you miss, or take down a nice pot if your hand improves.

If you had 10k here it would be an instapush.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play it exactly like this!

If I hit, I would probably, CR all-in.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AK ain't one of them? You never just call a raise with AK when you have position?

[/ QUOTE ]

What position? From the SB. I play tables where the SB is the first to play after the flop. Don't know about yours. Must be a home game.

I gave my logic. If you find fault with it, that's fine. I have no problem with that. I'm happy to see a flop in this situation, given the reasons I stated. If the caller is calling just because he has position and 70BB, then I'd prefer to stick around a little longer. He's got a lot of chips that I can get in a better spot. A 4X BB usually means something in these. I've played a few of them, enough to have seen it. I've also been hooked by AA flat calling a big raise, and I've said goodnight with AK vs. 44.

I really think I'm fine with playing it this way. But then, I feel better about my post-flop play than many do here, so that certainly may make a difference.

I hope you will allow different ways to play here. Sometimes with responses like this, one wonders.

Oh, since you didn't ask but implied that I'm "people" in the tone of voice that implies fish, I'm NOT assuming there is a monster lurking, but you must admit it's certainly within the range of hands. Or are you just pushing because that's your complete strategy? (That's a question, not a statement.)

CJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow-- somebody who's actually thinking about the issues involved, instead of seeing AK and splooging all over their keyboard.

Thank you, Cactus Jack.

If any if you other donks bothered to read my first post, I said that *based on reads* it is *reasonable* to fold.

I didn't say I'd fold every time. I might very well push and/or call 80% of the time, if this was a typical $5.

But it is *not automatic*, with a hand that is a 43/57 dog to TT-QQ, and a huge dog to KK-AA.

So get a clue, donkeys. Meanwhile, I have to go count the money I've won from y'all.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Old 10-28-2005, 02:36 PM

YSSCKY
Old 10-28-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

MOST BIZARRE STRATEGY POST EVER

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I thouht I was losing it
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 PM

This thread is such gold I don't even know where to start.

To Pineapple: Unless you've won $110,000 in one tourney, I'd go ahead and stop insulting someone who has. Pwned.

To OP: You aren't running into Kings all the time. Two players being dealt KK and AK on a given hand is a very small probability. Sorry about your run of bad luck.

To everyone: AK is a premium hand. Period. In the given situation you need a specific read to fold AK here in this spot. Is this the first time he's raised 4x the BB? He's in MP and there are antes in the pot. His range could be anywhere from suited connectors to all pairs to all broadway to any two. It really depends on a read. If he's been the tightest guy at the table and if you can narrow his range down to QQ+ or AK, it is correct for you to see the flop here. And in a normal online game this is almost impossible to do.

AK is difficult to play sometimes, but only because often times we feel as if it is the nuts even if we haven't paired it on the flop. Call here, and if we whiff we whiff. But don't be scared playing AK. It is a profitable hand and in this spot a call is warranted.

Brad
Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It takes a stronger hand to call than to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't gotten to that chapter in the book yet...................
so you have to be better than 1:1 to call a raise? Is that what the book says?

Bco