Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Reverse implied odds calling the turn with AK?

3/6 or 5/10 Hold 'em

I have AK and end up heads-up with a very aggressive player by 3-betting the flop. I'm on the button. MP2 raises to 2BB, I re-raise to 3BB. Everyone folds.

Flop is rags (four actual flops):
[6h 2h 8c]
[3c 5s 3h]
[2d 2c 3s]
[5c 6h 6s]

FLOP: Pot is 7.5SB. If he bets, I raise. If I bet, he raises.

TURN: Pot is 6BB. The turn is another blank. The villian bets into to me. I am getting 7 to 1 from the pot and am 6.7 to 1 to get my overpair. I call.

RIVER: Pot is 8BB. Even when I don't hit my ace or my king, I feel compelled to call another big bet on the river getting 9 to 1. I call.

Results

[6h 2h 8c] Beat 95: 8 BB (the 6BB in the pot + 2BB he bets)
[3c 5s 3h] Lose to AQ: 2 BB (I called twice) -- queen on the river
[2d 2c 3s] Lose to 88: 2 BB (I called twice)
[5c 6h 6s] Lose to QQ: 2 BB (I called twice)

Net Profit: 2BB

So it appears that I'm getting 4 to 1 from the pot and need to win only 1 in 5 hands to turn a profit. Should I ever consider folding the turn heads-up since I am always forced to call the river?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Reverse implied odds calling the turn with AK?

dude, first off you can't use that data set to justify your play-- its just too small a sample size. Secondly, you opponent's preflop raise tells you that hes got at least high cards or a pair. If hes super aggressive, he might be tryinhg to steal. Either way, just calling is the WORST move you can make. Make a decision about what he has and act on it. If you think he'd make that preflop raise with hands like AQ or AJ, then raise the turn. If not, you've gotta fold here; most of the time in that situation you're behind though.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Ok a few clarifications - A couple times I raised pre-flop and was only called. I bet the turn several times. The times I only called, I was raised on the flop.

Why would I fold to QQ if I am getting 7 to 1 from the pot and I'm 6.6 to 1 to beat him?

Also, I am aware that this is a small sample size. I was first going to ask this question with no hands to show, but then decided it was easier to talk about with some examples.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would I fold to QQ if I am getting 7 to 1 from the pot and I'm 6.6 to 1 to beat him?

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not getting 7 to 1 from the pot if you know a priori that you're going to call the river.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're not getting 7 to 1 from the pot if you know a priori that you're going to call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. That's my question. Should I fold on the turn? I don't think I can fold on the river.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:48 PM

No one has answered my question. I.E. should I fold more on the turn if it's going to make me have to call on the river? It's hard to tell if my opponent is on a bluff or has a hand and the pot is usually large.