Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Did I get outplayed here?

I usually would call this but I know this person was a 2+2er. They knew I was also so maybe they figured I could make this kind of laydown. So do you think I got played or was I beat?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 handed) converter

Hero ($84.15)
BB ($56.88)
UTG ($73.2)
MP ($17.65)
CO ($28.35)
Button ($46.72)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($5.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($11.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10.

River: ($31.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $32.28</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $63.78

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins $63.78. </font>
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Did I get outplayed here?

I think you played the turn a little aggressively. I usually check in this spot w/almost any hand and bet the pot occasionally with legitamate hands. His flop call gave you no info on his hand so you shouldn't commit too early. His line seemed like a low 2 pair or straight; good river fold.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM

It's possible, but I play it roughly the same way, except a little more on the flop bet. UTG limp/call is consistent with a low pp and he may have been drawing for a set.

It's very player dependent though. I know a lot of people might raise the turn here, but maybe he was hoping you'd bet the river as well. If you have a history or something with this guy, I'd suggest mixing up your play, going for a check/raise on the flop or something.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:41 AM

Papa, you'd check/call the turn?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:50 AM

His line was good. I like check/calling or check/raising the turn depending on the opponents play. You can gauge the strength of his hand a lot of the time by how he bets. For example, if you check to him and he bets small, you can narrow the possibilities of what he's got. Also without any info on the opponents hand I wouldn't necessarily wanna put so much $$ in "blind" if you will. This is a tough spot tho. You're likely ahead on the flop and your opponents obviously drawing, so you wanna charge him, right? However, the turn might've made his straight. THe point is you just don't know. I'm saying test the waters but don't commit yourself. It depends a great deal on any reads hero might have on the opponent.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 AM

A question for the experienced players:

Is a blocking bet worth it on the river here, or just a waste of chips?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:21 AM

He's not chasing a gut shot, he's proubly got a set, an early limp then call is typical of small-mid pairs pre-flop.
I don't think he's got two pair because as you said he's a two plus twoer and should know better than to call raises with bad aces.
Anyway he has to put you on top pair top kicker, so rest easy,he had you beat.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:40 AM

I play mostly at UB, so I'm not sure how the standard size raises are at Party, but 5xBB with AQ seems a bit excessive for 6 handed and kind of leads to the pot getting too big for top pair good kicker.

Flop looks standard, but I'd probably bet less on the turn as it puts the flush draw out there and makes an attractive call. The pot size bet pretty much screams AK/AQ so if your opponent is as good as you give him credit for and is familiar with your play, he could call planning to steal if a 3rd club hits.

The rivers a pretty scary card and a blocking bet seems fairly useless as you're behind about half the other aces and any two-pair set hand that are all going to reraise you.

Given the way the cards came out the check on the river and call of a reasonable bet seems like a good idea, if weak.

This is all based purely on your assertation that your opponent is a good player though, with most people I'd bet it on the turn like you did and 2/3rd pot the river too. It looks like a case where a good player with position can make you fold a strong hand.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Wow, I just noticed this says it was a 6 max table but it was in fact a full 10 player table, dont know how that happened.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 AM

I was at this table, and if you're playing against who I think you are, then it's very possible you got outplayed. Very. I don't like your underbet on the flop or the lead bet on the turn because it doesn't give you any read on the person, and causes you to slow down on the river. And they took control over that.

I think they could've had anything from AK, 55,1010, A10, or even trips. Come to think of it, they could've held rags, too. I don't mind the laydown, because there are many hands that this person could've held that beat you.