Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Pocket Jacks against a TAG

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Vilain is a TAG with 12/10 over 100 hands. I havenīt seen him be overly tricky in any hand yet.
I absolutely hate my play on this hand and would want some comments from you guys...

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
Old 12-27-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Pocket Jacks against a TAG

You shouldn't be capping preflop here. If Villain is TAG, you have to put him on great starting hand. I'd be testing him on the flop and the turn, but if he remains aggressive, call him down. Never fold in this spot w/so much $ in the pot.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:43 PM

After he three-bets pre-flop I'd just go call-call-call. It's a crappy way to play it, but against those stats I prefer to just let him keep firing.

If an ace comes out that's tougher. You could probably fold it, but if it falls on the river I know I'll end up calling. On the other hand, 100 hands isn't very much (though that seems to be a good indication)...

As your hand played out, I think the turn fold is good.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After he three-bets pre-flop I'd just go call-call-call. It's a crappy way to play it, but against those stats I prefer to just let him keep firing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatīs the way I should have played it I think. For 4BB I get to SD, the same price as in this hand where I folded the Turn...
Old 12-27-2004, 04:49 PM

What hands would he set you up on the turn that you are ahead of and that he'd 3-bet PF out of the BB?

99/TT/AKs/AKo/AQs?

I don't mind the fold, as the player is VERY tight and aggressive and giving you all the signs you are behind. But I've seen plenty of agg players play the above hands this way and wouldn't want to be in the spot you are in with an overpair to the board. Is this guy likely to overplay a weaker hand or draw to push you off or is he pretty straight forward "bet the flop, CR the turn when faced with flop aggression" when he has a big overpair. Obviously AA/KK/QQ/88 are very likely options.

Ultimately your flop raise isn't giving you much information, especially vs most opponents who will play this "bet the flop, pop the turn" line alot of the times. I would smooth call the flop and raise the turn or even the river here and fold to a 3-bet unless the player typically gets out of line with hands like TT/99 here, which I don't think a 12/10 player does. Or you could just call down, raising the obvious set spike...as most VERY (weak-)tight players will fold even TT/99 to a raise.