Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Playing a LAG with a set

Villain is LAG, 45/34/4 in 120 hands

Should I repop the flop, or maybe let him lead the turn ? (I thought checking the turn might be dangerous if he has a draw and decides to peel one off).

River play I'm not certain .. at first I thought he just hit trips .. but since he got gunshy on the turn, I don't know what he has..

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($222.95)
UTG ($31.05)
MP ($37.15)
Button ($34.05)
Hero ($99.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($22) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

River: ($62) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I bet 60, BB folds.

Final Pot: $62
Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Playing a LAG with a set

Check the turn.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:13 PM

If your plan is to bet out the turn, why not 3-bet the flop? You can pump the pot up quicker. That turn card could have been a huge action killer (or could have given you more action than you wanted [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).
Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM

i like popin this flop because of the draws out there. easily could have oesd and i want him to pay. def like a half pot bet on the river though incase he had kq. he will probably pay you off for half pot
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM

looks to me like he had something like 89 in the BB. Tried to semi-bluff the flop, and wanted to draw out on river calling your turn bet. I think if he had 2 pair, like J-2,10-2 which are very possible in the BB or J10 then he would have come over top because the aggressor and lag that he is. Same with a set. I think you missed some value with pot sized bet on river, becuase i cant see what type of hand he would call that raise with that wont beat you. I would check and hope he tries to steal the pot because i know if i lead he's going to lay down his hand (if i put him on 89) and i miss a bet.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is LAG, 45/34/4 in 120 hands

Should I repop the flop, or maybe let him lead the turn ? (I thought checking the turn might be dangerous if he has a draw and decides to peel one off).

River play I'm not certain .. at first I thought he just hit trips .. but since he got gunshy on the turn, I don't know what he has..

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($222.95)
UTG ($31.05)
MP ($37.15)
Button ($34.05)
Hero ($99.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $9</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($22) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

River: ($62) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I bet 60, BB folds.

Final Pot: $62

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is pretty deep... is he one of those cagey LAGs or just a donk?

the cold call on the turn is interesting given that he showed some resistance on the flop, I'm guessing he has some weird draw ... maybe something like AT... raising with second pair is pretty common for a LAG and the K on the turn gives him prolly 9 outs (in his mind at least)

obviously he at least puts you on TP, so he folds to you on the river...

I think you played it pretty well... i normally like to repop with bottom set but you didn't do bad here...